Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jersey 7116

PhanDad

Saw a 7116 sitting out front of a farmhouse with a 'for sale' sign on it while driving in New Jersey last week. It's in good shape and now it's mine. Has a new starter: 7116_0005.jpg.693d559e9286ce47e38fdab35984418a.jpg

An electric lift and new carb:

7116_0006.jpg.ce9c102e141283fb5aa06683326a30d9.jpg

A 48" deck in excellent shape: 7116_0007.jpg.2734132dc9008ab2f49a2e0e7ddb05cc.jpg

7116_0008.jpg.1a1f0345fdb633839019faa61815ad0a.jpg

And a bonus:

7116_0010.jpg.288d7cfabf4df3064d394f3244bfe2a6.jpg

7116_0014.jpg.65cc26410dd6be1d4be6fcb12341dc89.jpg

Also has a rear lift. Only problem is a leak at the hydro trunnion shaft. I believe the "bonus" might be the rear part of a number 398 Cultivator which I plan to sell. Nope it's a mfg number 408 Spring Tooth Cultivator.

Edited by PhanDad
Replaced pics

Nice find..I never seen Simplicity cultivaters like that before... I never seen that style of parking brake either...I bet thats a real rare option worth alot of money too.:D:D:D[:0]

That is the same type of parking brake that I have for all my machinery. Different designs, and different materials have been used over the years, and I still can't say which is best. LOL You don't see very many "spring-tooth harrows" for these tractors.

Rod, So the "bonus" attachment is a "spring tooth harrow"? (Don't have much knowledge about real farm implements) I didn't come across one of those when I looked for attachments for our tractors on Kent's site. Was it some type of option for the cultivator - different style of ground engaging device? Did some more looking and found it's an attachment all to itself, mfg number 408. Lots of info on Kent's site, just gotta keep digging - but it helps to know what you're looking for. ;)

Bill, I knew "what" it was from the one we had for farming when I was young (although ours was horse drawn). I wasn't sure if it was Simplicity or from some other company. I just knew from the design of the teeth, what they were called many years ago, when I was a kid. Most people are familiar with the disk harrows, which are the primary type used today with tractors. The spring tooth, and the older spike tooth harrows were more prominent when the farming was being done with horses instead of tractors. In the area where I grew up, many of the small farms (primarily raising food just for the family) were still using horses for plowing and tilling in the 50s and 60s. It was much more cost effective to keep horses and they could be used in areas where you couldn't take a tractor. In fact I remember several times that my grandfather hitched up the horses to go pull a neighbor's tractor out of the mud where it got stuck.