Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
hoptownhiller

Apologies first - Gas Cap Lenses

hoptownhiller
folks, I have done the search a couple of times, but just can't seem to find the string.... A while back I seem to remember reading that some one had created a way to replicate the lenses and decals for gas tank caps that serve as fuel gauges. If anyone remembers the company or the person, I would appreciate the knowledge thanks

Brent_Baumer
It was Dutch who started that thread. I did it on a couple of machines and it worked OK. Then I discovered brand new gauges were $11.00 from the dealer and stopped fooling with the peanut but jar bottoms.

Trying to keep a number of machines running, I can understand why people turn to peanut butter jars.

HubbardRA
I have made a couple from the plastic coverings from things purchased at garden supply and hardware stores. When I open the container, if the plastic covering is shaped right for a gas cap cover, I save it. You can get some interesting looking shapes that way. The last one I made had a raised point in the center that stuck up about 1/2 inch. Just keep the old eyes open. Lots of usable junk out there.

IronPony
If you do go ahead and make the repair, remember to put a pin hole in it or you may not be able to draw gas due to a vacuum forming. Even though new ones are available, it is always fun to DIY a little. Dan aka IronPony