Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with making wheel weights please

Boney

When making Cement rear wheel weights what do you guys use to cover the bottom {inner wheel} part of the weight? I am talking about the area near the axle part of the rim so the cements doesnt get into the lug/axle holes when pooring the cement. Is it worth making front wheel weights? Thnx for any help/comments Herm

Haven't done it yet myself but have been thinking the same thing. I was thinking of using a heavy guage plastic sheeting to cover the rim. May not make it the pretties thing, but that side will be against the rim anyhow. Then I was going to just drill out the holes and grind down any rough areas with the angle grinder. But if anyone else has better suggestions I am all earts. I am also using an additive for the cement so you can get it pourable without using much water (which is not good for the cement) You only need a few cc's/lb of cement, so if you would like some, let me know. I have about a half gallon.

My dad made a few sets of the concrete weights years ago...In fack I found them out in the back of the property not to long ago..I thought they was awful big and bulky and left them there.. I would just make up some bar weight brackets by using some flat stock and drill holes for mounting the stock to the wheel and weld a 1" bolt to the center of it to mount barbell weights..Thats just my opinion.. If you insist on concrete weights then I belive my dad poured them in some plastic buckets something like the 5gal paint buckets...not sure how he removed the bucket though..I do remember watching him pour the cement in the buckets though..

I've been thinking about doing this same thing. I had an idea to use a piece of pipe and bolt it where the bolt holes are. So after the concrete hardens, the pipes will be part of the weight. This would also keep the concrete out of the bolt holes. I'd thought about a small plastic lid to keep it from going through the center hole. I'll be watching this post for other ideas.

If I were going to do it I would either try a pail or something otherwise I would find an old wheel and lay some plastic or something in it, The pipes are a good idea also one thing to rememeber doing it this way is you would need to stick something in there to make a hole for the hub to fit it on the 1 side.. I like the Barbell idea myself and I have a couple of Brackets made up if someone want to see a picture...

You could make a mold in the ground. Fill the mold with concrete, use collaspiable materials for the bolt holes. This can be in form of a tree branch, cardboard, cork, etc... Those things can be drilled out when the concrete's dry. That would work just fine. I'd personally just buy steel wheel weights for the rear. I have some myself, and they work great.

The ones I made years ago I used plastic in the wheel and pipes bolted in for the bolt holes. they worked ok but are a pain to take in and out. Purchased weights are better by far. JW

I made some and have had them for years. I cut a piece of paneling in a circle the size of where the rims taper down ( you need to keep it away from the hub ) lined it with plastic from a garbage bag, put bolts up from the bottom, put 2 short pieces of copper pipe on the inside with washers and nuts snugged down, Fill with cement, let dry. Worked great. I also put hardware wire in incase it cracked. I also cut about 5 inches off a 5 gallon bucket to slide inside the rim down to the paneling so the concrete come out of the rim about 2 inches. They weigh about 25 lbs each.

these are all great ideas.....can someone toss up some pix? Especially of the concrete weights. I've got homemade steel weights for the rear of my B-12, but i'd like to build some for the front also.