Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New with a question

firefighter

I have a 1960 A/C B-10 I use to mow the lawn and do garden work. I has searched for problems with differenials, and all I can find is excess slipping problems. I seem to be have the exact opposite problem. It wants to act like a positraction rear end and has trouble turning. I did disassemble and grease it with no improvement. Nothing is broken or damaged. Any help would be appeciated. I am in awe of what I have seen here so far. You guys (and gals?) seem to have a lock on this info. Roger

I can't help you, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer. Welcome! Feel free to look around. If you like what you see, membership is $10 a year. Best money I've spent to get all the information I'd ever need on my B-208.

First off, Welcome to the group! I never worked on one and so I am only going by what I have read in the past... I think there is some nylon screws that you adjust up to make them grab better...I think you may have them adjusted to tight...Might try backing of on them some..I do not know the proper adjustment procedure..I am sure from what I have read this is the problem..Someone here will sure know and help you though

What you probably have is that the gear that attaches to the axle and drives the left wheel is sitting in the wrong location. If the spacer washers (or lack of) are allowing that gear to move farther toward the right wheel than where it is designed to sit, it will intersect both the left and the right spider gears in the diff, and will cause the diff to lock. As rich said above, this is an old pulling trick to lock the diff. Been there, done that. It can also happen if the axle collar on the left side behind the wheel moves a little, which will let the whole axle move to the right in some instances. First thing to try is to jack up the tractor and pull the axle as far to the left as possible. If there is slack between the collar on the left side axle, then loosten the set screws and remove the slack. If that doesn't fix the problem, the a diff removal will be required to see what is wrong on the inside. PM me if you have more questions. I have worked on several diffs, which includes putting a 77 model limited slip diff in my 61 Wards.

Thanks Rod!! The light just came on.8)I have it on jacks to remove the engine for it's first ever rebuild. I remember seeing slack in the rear axle. I will check this out as soon as I get home. I am looking forward to this forum as I plan to rebuild and restore my baby during the winter. Initial checks seem to indicate the $10 for membership was a good investment.

Welcome the club and I'm sure you'll find the 10 bucks spent real well invested before long. I'm betting the gear on the axle is reversed, my B-112 was that way when I got it, descovered it when I tore into it to see how it worked, that was before this site came into my life but I did have a manual.

Marty, The gear in the diff of my 61 Wards was the same on both sides. Positioning of it was related to the washers between the left side gear and the right side (hub) gear. There was a large stack of spacer washers in that one. In my RBT tractors, the gears all have a spacer built on one side of the gear and they can be reversed to produce the locked axle. On my Wards it was just location of spacer washers since the gear was symmetrical.

Welcome to the club, if you are a paying member, you can post pictures. It is well worth the cost. Jh

Thanks! I joined this morning or at least it told me it had gone through. Does it take a day to process???

quote:
Originally posted by firefighter
Thanks! I joined this morning or at least it told me it had gone through. Does it take a day to process???
Welcome to the club! If you used paypal, you should be set to go. Your B-10 crosses over to the Simplicity Landlord, Mfg # 990308. If you go to the page where you log onto this site, you can type in the mfg # and download the operators and parts manuals.

In the interim, here are the blowups of the diff for your referance.

Good luck, and again, welcome to the club!

Welcome,glad to have you around! BTW,your B10 would probably be about 1964 vintage or so.B1 was 1961,I believe,and the B10 came after that.If the engine is original,you can get the date from it,to get you close.

The locked differentials that I have seen have always been assembled wrong (I have even done it myself). Look at the diagram carefully.

Update. Had to dig into the differential to find the problem. The C ring that snaps around the shaft had worn over the years and allowed the gear to slip forward. You guys offered some real help and I suspect I will have many more questions during the rebuilding process.