Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Orange

Has anyone ever made a B-series/shuttle hybrid?

Orange
Hello, I have a 3410 Shuttle that I am trying to sell, but got to thinking yesterday, I could join it with a B10 I have to make something useful and unique. I like the styling of the round hoods much better than the 3400/7000 series tractors. I know a few people have converted B series tractors to accept the Sunstrand hydro rear ends, but has anyone done this with a Shuttle? If so, do you have any pictures, opinions, or advice. Thanks in advance.

D-17_Dave
My biggest question is why go to all the trouble when a hydro is so much better in so many ways. Not to mention the inherent problems of wear that almost every shuttle I've ever seen is plauged with. Unique yes, wourth the effort,questionable.IMO.

SmilinSam
A B-10 conversion would be problematic as the tractors are 3" too short and not set up for the lever control. Such a swap would be easy on a B-112 or B-210/212.

tec2484
I'm looking at doing that with my MW Squire 9. while I have it apart I think I'm going to drop in the 16hp cast iron I have in also. But thats a winter time project. I have thought about making the shuttle shift foot operated so you have one hand for steering and one for other important things like holding a beer. If i do this I will be posting pic's.

Orange
Sam, Why are the 3" in length critical? I know you've done conversions and was wondering what would be effected by the shorter wheelbase. Thanks for your help. Dave, you certainly are correct. I don't think conversions like this are ever really worth it in the end, but getting there is fun . . . maybe ^

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by Orange
Sam, Why are the 3" in length critical? I know you've done conversions and was wondering what would be effected by the shorter wheelbase. Thanks for your help. Dave, you certainly are correct. I don't think conversions like this are ever really worth it in the end, but getting there is fun . . . maybe ^
Mainly because the seat pans will still line up right and the control rods wont need to be shortened or any rigamaro like that. The long bodied B series are the basic same dimensions as the 700 series tractors. vickers hydros and shuttles can pretty much be switched between all those with only nuts and bolts to mess withbecause the control rod positions are about the smae on all of them. Swapping a Sundstrand requires more work and best to have a welder and torch to do it beacuse until you add the position for the control lever there is no such position on the older tractors prior to 1974. If you put newer guts in a short frame B series its pretty much all going to be cut and weld fabrication to make things work.

GWGAllisfan
Is the extra length on the long wheel base in the sideplates connecting the BGB and the Transaxle?? or is the whole tractor from BGB forward longer? I've wondered abou that for some time so this seemied to be a good place to ask!

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
Is the extra length on the long wheel base in the sideplates connecting the BGB and the Transaxle?? or is the whole tractor from BGB forward longer? I've wondered abou that for some time so this seemied to be a good place to ask!
The side plates are longer to make the variable speed and Hydro setups work, ad the seat decks are then larger. The B-110 is also a short frame tractor, but uses the same seat deck stamping as the loner ones, but it uses a hinged mount that the others do not and will not interchange with the ones on the longer tractors.