Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
msiebern

How you got infected?

msiebern
Just noticed I was coming up on post number 500, and wanted to make it a little special, well for me anyway. I was wondering how everyone came across their 1st Simple Tractor. When I was much younger, my dad bought a 700 so I would quit complaining about having to use a push mower to mow all of the house and barnyards. Catch was I had to help pay for it my mowing some of the neighbors yards too. It wasn't long before we had more requests to mow yards than we had time available, because the yards looked so much better than when mowed with the other mowers of that era. Dad also insisted that I trim around the trees, sidewalks, and other obstacles using a set of hand shears, This was before anyone ever heard of string trimmers :). When dad retired from farming, he needed something to keep him busy, so he mowed a large cemetary in town. They also had Simplicities for mowing that huge cemetary. Over the years he kept getting Simplicities and when my boys were old enough to help, he made sure they had ample seat time as well. We lost dad 10 years ago, but my 7114H and 7116H are both the last tractors he had, and they are still mowing and clearing snow over at the farm. I have added many more to the collection since then, but hope to keep those two going for years to come. He always took pride in the finsihed results he obtained with those Simplicities! Well, with that said, how did your 1st Simple Tractor enter your life?

johnmonkey
Great story Mike. I got my montgomery ward gardenmark squire from my brother-in-law about 20 years ago. I rebuilt the motor while in college (~1990). I used it alot from 1992 (when we moved in to a house with five acres). I found this site in about 1999 and the rest is history. Now I have an AC 710 six speed, Simp 7112, MW gmark, Simp 700 (free+ needs lots of work) and a non working AC 917 + 2 gravely walk behind and numerous accessories. JH

TomSchmit
My father bought his 717 Broadmoor (used) in the fall of '67. I started running in '68, when I was in second grade, cutting grass and plowing snow (Dad put a 100 lb bag of water softener salt on the seat to give it a little weight). The tractor has gone thru 3 sets of transmission gears, 2 mower decks, and at least 5 plow blade wear edges. I still have the tractor, although it is used up and does not run. Tom in Milwaukee

PhanDad
Dad got his first simple tractor (a new B110 I still have) in the summer of '67. A nephew was selling A/C farm equipment out in Lancaster County, PA and Dad got a good deal. Came with a deck and a snowblower - much better than a plow according to the nephew. But using the blower on his crushed stone driveway was a nightmare, epecially with the freeze/thaw conditions here in southern PA. Shortly after I purchased my house in '72, he bought a slightly used Homelite T-12 equipped with deck, rototiller, and plow - and gave the B110 to me. Made me a very happy camper and a simple tractor man forever.

KVANDY12
20 years ago bought a B10-36" mower with tiller. 10 years later bought a AC 914h 48 in deck. The b10 replaced a snapper 26" mower, man what differents in grass cuttting time. Also have a AC710 42" deck, A simp. 7013 42"deck, 727 with 36"deck & tiller & revitalizer, 3410 W/ 36" deck, and Homlett 710 With 42" deck. Have 3 other tiller for the tractors And front blades for all of them. Happy time are here again and yet.Ken

goatfarmer
We had bought our house in 1986,and were using an ancient Lawn Boy RER to cut the grass. I was looking for something better,when my wife came home from work,and said a co worker was selling a Simplicity tractor. Went to look at it,and decided it was what I wanted.It was a 3410,that they had bought new. Her husband had died a year or so earlier,and she moved into town,and didn't need the tractor anymore.Came with a 42" deck,and a lawn cart for $300.00. Still have the tractor,bought a blade for it several years later.Cut a lot of grass,pushed a lot of snow with it.It's semi retired now,sits in the back of the garage. But it can come out of retirement at any time,ready to work again.

Bunky
Well the first Simple tractor I drove when I was 5 was my Grandpa's Brand New Serf 515, The First one i ever bought of my own was a 3210V that my dad had and he got it from my uncle who's brother bought it new..

Nubian
I went from a 80'X 200' lot to a 3.5 acre lot the previous was being pampered by a practically mint Yardman sweet machine beautiful cut hated to get rid of it. So now i find out that it takes an average of 1 hr to mow 1 acre with a 48" deck. So I started looking for a bigger deck to cut down (;))my mowing time and came across the D/A Ultima with a 60" deck. While doing research on my new tractor I came across this website, that was in 2001.

I needed a lawn mower, my buddy bragged about his Simplicity which his parents owned. A Broadmoor; later he buys about 10-12 of those. So he delivers me a 3012 he finds. Since he's gone green, giving me a number of Broadmoors. Meanwhile, I've purchased every B-Series/Simplicity and turned over many except a B1,B210 and B212. I'm hording four hydrostatic tractors (3)3112H's and (1)HB112. Only plan to keep one 725, one B10, one Landlord,one B12, one 3012 and one B112 with those. If I find a B1, I like I might add that. Otherwise, will sell off/give away some the manual transmission tractors eventually.

Jovee
My first was a 515. I liked it so much I bought the 728 and together they converted me from the Sears camp. The fix/sell/restore/collect hobby started getting out of hand a bunch of years ago. I still have both mentioned above and it is because of members here that I have aquired many of the help and parts I needed for their restoration. Now I just have to get to them one of these days. I have since aquired a second 728,a 738,a 5212.5H, a 3108, an 808, a 310D, a rare 1021, a T-8 and a CT-10

Nick
In May of 2003 my friends father had a B-110 sitting outside under a pine tree. I inquired about it and he gave it to me. It was supposed to be heading to his brothers house in Miami County, Kansas who needed one for parts. (he no longer has the other B-110 so one of you club members might have it) I remembered there was a well laid out site on AC garden tractors which I last saw in 1999, so I then looked up "Allis Chalmers B-110" on Yahoo, found simpletractors.com and been here ever since. I have since acquired a Landlord 101, and 2 Model B-1's and a couple of attachments.

dirtsaver
Kudos on post 502 Mike. I rekon I'm like a lot of the others here,fighting Crapsmans,Murrys,Ariens or whatever I found cheap to use a couple of years till it finally blew up. After going a season mowing about one acre(at the time I was working a lot of hours and Eva was handling the mowing chores)with a 21" pusher,I was informed that "she who must be obeyed" wanted a "riding mower that starts and mows when I need to get the yard mowed". So off we go! I really wanted a Power King Economy Jr or Jim Dandy to clean snow off the 300' gravel drive too but never found one. Instead we found a 1992 17GTH-L in real good shape,400hrs, for $1100 at the dealership I now work for. I had just got internet service out here in the sticks(must have been 2000 or 2001)so I did some browsing for "Simplicity". First site up was SimpleTractors,and I've been here ever since. I now have a 3012V, a B-10,a Big Ten and a 7016H keeping the 17GTH company,along with a slew of implements and parts/donor tractors. Anyway Mike, that's where it started for me.

TBOLT
My son was always crazy about tractors and farming equipment. He worked for our neighbor in his poultry houses for several years and eyeballed a 616 sitting in one of his many equipment sheds with flat tires . He stayed after him until he sold it to him, I painted the rims and plows that came with it and put a new set of Ag tires on it and a new battery and we started cultivating corn with it and plowing the garden and making food plots for deer.I bought a mowing deck from JP, collected up some different plows, 3 pt. forks and box blade. I lost my son at 17, 3 1/2 years ago and my 17 year old son now helps me some but he don't get into the tractors that much. I'm presently trying to completely re-paint the 616. Major sheet metal parts I had done by an automotive paint shop. While I've got the engine out I'm gonna fix some oil leaks, go through the starter and such. In the past 6 months or so I've added a 720 and 620 to my collection and a woods brush cutter, scrape blade, hyd. dozer blade and 48" tiller. I have 3 mowing decks and although theyre all in good shape I'm going to repaint and go through one of them for the 616 . I have new decals , rollers, for it already. The 720 has new paint and when the 616 is finished I'm going to start tearing apart the 620. When theyre all done I'l probably just set around and look at em. I have A Hustler Super Z for cutting the grass and a 6 ft. bush hog and 6ft tiller for my 4wd Century but I occasionally like to do a little mowing with the A/C's. Something about them just gives me a little Peace and I feel like my son would be happy about the collection if he were here.

john-holcomb
When I was 13 my dad went with me to the bank and cosigned for $1500 and I went down to Cork equipment in Sandusky and bought a brand new B-12. Along with the B-12 I got the high/low, a mower deck, snow blower, heavy duty dozer blade and trailer. This started me in my own lawn mowing and snow removal business. I would mow as many as thirty lawns a week in our small town and paid back the bank in one summer. When I was a senior in high school I sold the tractor when my folks moved to a smaller house and I have regretted it every since. And now with 6 Simplicities I still don't have a B-12 but someday I will. JW

jdm
A friend of mine at work had a 710 that he had robbed the motor off of for a go-cart. I had seen it whole before and told him it seemed to be an awesome tractor. Jump forward several years. The engine swap never happened and he gave me the whole thing in pieces. I put it together, and love it. My sis-in-law gave me a front blade from a newer, green, Allis, and all I had to do was remove the newer blade mounting bracket and it fit perfectly on my tractor. Man, will it push.

HubbardRA
My first one was my 61 Wards. I was garden tractor pulling in the modified class and wanted to build one for stock class. At that time there were very few places that I could pull my motorcycle engine tractor. I bought the Wards from a small engine shop for $150, with the engine in pieces in a box. I loved the design of the tractor, even though I had no idea it was a Simplicity, or even what a Simplicity was. I re-assembled the tractor with a 10 Hp engine and started using it for tractor pulling. I actually found out it was a Simplicity from a guy who was pulling a B112 in the same class. Later on, the same guy, who had told me about the Wards tractor, called me up and said he had bought another tractor for me. That was my AC716H. I bought it from him for $150. I put the Wards tranny into the AC and we pulled it for a couple years. Finally we retired the tractors from pulling and re-assembled them to be work machines. I've picked up a couple more since then, but those are other stories.