Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
4xbill

What model does this look like?

msiebern
Looks like a 1968 Broadmoor 717. The first Broadmoor's came with a 32" deck and I don't think they had electric start or 36" deck until the 717's. I would guess it to be more like a 7 hp than 5 hp also :) http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/New_in_1968/broadmoor.htm

ehertzfeld
It's a 1964sih They were the only ones with the black dash. There isn't a number with it like the 707 or 717s. They were the first ones made. I had a few of these. When you get it, there should not be any lower side to the dash. This is another indication on the year. Take a few pictures and I'll be able to tell you for sure.

TimJr
Assuming the engine is original, it's a 717 - they were the only round hooded Broadmoors to use a 1 piece FloJet carb. The 6hp and 707 had the updraft 2 piece carbs. Also, the early ones could have a white or black dash - I have both, but don't have the serial numbers on me. Electric start was an option on the 6hp ones, and even available as a dealer or owner installed kit. There was a manual start and electric start version of the 717 The real early 6hp tractors had no grease fitting for the frame pivot, although many were updated per a factory service bulletin. They also had a 17x9.50-8 tire instead of the later 18x9.50-8. Got those too. They also had a standard model for the early ones with even smaller tires - got it too. The deluxe got the bigger tires/manual start, and then the top of the line was the deluxe tire with electric start. I have also noticed that the dash decal must have been supplied by two companies - some are a smooth sticker, while others are textured like a pebble vinyl. Tim

TimJr
They will swap back and forth, but going by the engine numbers, the 707 had the 2 piece, and the 717 the long one piece. The 717 engine was also the first counterbalanced engine in a Broadmoor.