Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How rare are Homelites??

SimpleTom

Buy it. They are becoming a hard to find commodity. There is a little info on them in Simple Tractors. They were made for a few years in the early 70s. I have 2, Fast Paul has one beautifully restored and Sam has some. Sam probably knows the most about them

The dealer in the next town had an Allis built Homelight for sale.Don't remember much about it,I'll have to check if he still has it.

In the last ten years of tractor buying and selling I have seen two Simplicity built T-8's, two Simplicity built T-16's, two AC built T-16's , One AC built T- 15, two AC built T-12's, One AC built T-10, One AC built RM-7E, one AC built T-8, and two Simplicity built CT-10's. We bought or picked up all of them except One simplicity T-8, the AC bulit T-8 and one of the AC built T-12's. Both CT-10's are currently here in use mowing grass for the meantime. I hesitate to get rid of those because with the 42" decks on them and the old L head 10hp engines, they are the least expensive to operate, maintain, and repair, and most efficient machines here. They mow circles around the new conquests as far as cost of repair parts and gas usage goes. Put it like this, I dont care to use gear drives anymore of which both of these are and I still find myself on them once a week usually. I also have a Simplicity Broadmoor snowblower for one I may set up and play with later this year.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got 2- a nice AC built T12 & a T16 parts machine. I am very impressed with the quality & durability of my T12, although I really have no other machine to compare it to. Note there are some minor differences between the AC built machines & the Simplicity, mostly the width of the frame which means you need a different hitch then the Simplicity machines. I believe that Simplicity forced Homelite to make a diff frame so they wouldn't be competing with them on the attachments? Please, anyone correct me if I am mistaken on this.

The United States govenment forced the diffences in hitches. (Fair Trade Laws at the time) The attachments in most cases were the same

When I built my AC713S, I used quite a few parts from a Homelite that has not been mentioned yet, the T13. Most of the T13 parts were given to me by johnmonkey, who had used some of the parts from that machine to fix up his AC710. I found nothing unique about the parts that I used, except that they were blue instead of orange. The T13 was essentially a Simplicity 7013S with a different paint job.

Funny, seems like hybrids are in my blood, I own a 1968 Triumph TR250 sports car, it's a mix of the old original TR4 (4cyl) & the TR6 (6 cyl). Only made it one year as the body designer did not have the new sheetmetal ready, but the engine was; so they stuck the new engine in the old style (better looking IMHO) body. What I hope mine will look like some day! http://www.seriouswheels.com/stuv/Triumph-TR250-Red-FA.htm

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Both CT-10's are currently here in use mowing grass for the meantime. I hesitate to get rid of those because with the 42" decks on them and the old L head 10hp engines, they are the least expensive to operate, maintain, and repair, and most efficient machines here. They mow circles around the new conquests as far as cost of repair parts and gas usage goes. Put it like this, I dont care to use gear drives anymore of which both of these are and I still find myself on them once a week usually. I also have a Simplicity Broadmoor snowblower for one I may set up and play with later this year.
I am partial to 16 HP CI Briggs engines, but after sticking in a chrome ring set in my 7010, I have to agree with Sam. The old girl will be coming up on it's 30 birthday and still has its original bore.

The best engine I have ever owned is a 10 Hp B/S 243431. When I got it, it was smoking so bad that it ran me out of the garage first time I started it. I put new rings in it to replace the stuck ones. Ran great for years, till son didn't tighten the oil filler plug and it blew out. He put it back and didn't fill up the oil. He overheated the engine and the rings lost their spring. I put another set of rings in it to stop the smoking that time. That engine is now powering my AC716H, and still has never been bored, and does not use any oil, starts right up, does not have a fuel shutoff and has never leaked a drop of gas. A great engine that I paid $25 for over 20 years ago. Hard to beat those 10 Hp B/S engines.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
The best engine I have ever owned is a 10 Hp B/S 243431. When I got it, it was smoking so bad that it ran me out of the garage first time I started it. I put new rings in it to replace the stuck ones. Ran great for years, till son didn't tighten the oil filler plug and it blew out. He put it back and didn't fill up the oil. He overheated the engine and the rings lost their spring. I put another set of rings in it to stop the smoking that time. That engine is now powering my AC716H, and still has never been bored, and does not use any oil, starts right up, does not have a fuel shutoff and has never leaked a drop of gas. A great engine that I paid $25 for over 20 years ago. Hard to beat those 10 Hp B/S engines.
I know what you mean last winter I completely restored a 74 or 75 T-10 smoked bad when I picked it up. I put a new set of chrome rings in it and used it all summer didn't have to add oil once. This was my first G/T restoration plan to do another this winter if I can find one cheap only paid 150 for the last one.

Gary: Thank you for posting the TR250 pic! I have loved the TR6 since it came out, and have come to really appreciate the lines of the TR250 as a result (though I love the kammback [sp?] of the TR6). I didn't know they put the inline 6 in that body for only one year. I wish you every success in your restoration--I'd like to see pics sometime. Peter