Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuild kit ?

FastPaul

What do I need for info of the engine and dose anyone sell a kit (rings ,rod bearings seals etc.) the B-10 I just got runs mint but smokes really really bad!any Help would be great thanks I want to do this very soon as the leaves will be on the ground soon!!

Paul, there should be numbers on it, take them to any small engine dealer. They should be able to get all you need for it. I think I sent you a few Simplicity dealer near you, they would be your best bet.

Other then a gasket set and carb rebuilding kit, Briggs has nothing. Even in the after market there has been zilch for the CI engines.

There is a guy on e-bay that sells a rebuild kit, just a little over a $100. You will need to know if you will have to have a oversize piston and an undersize rod.

I had a similar problem with a 10 Hp 243431 B/S engine a couple years ago. Pulled it apart and just put new rings in it. Running great. I think the ring set was about $40. I also only put rings in the 13 Hp engine that is on my 713S. Most of the time, the engines are in good shape except for one of two things: 1. Rings are stuck at some point in the grooves of the piston and will not move properly to allow sealing. This happens a lot with engines that have been sitting for several years. 2. Engine has been overheated for some reason like low oil level or overloading with insufficient rpm. This can cause the rings to lose their tension and not seal properly. Of course there is also the case where the engine is just plum worn out and needs a complete rebuild or a new engine. This type of wear will present itself by a significant ridge in the top of the cylinder or cylinder scoring. Rod knocking can also be present in high wear engines. To determine the extent of rebuild that is needed, one must pull the head and oil pan off of the engine and check it. Caution: Most small engine mechanics will only do complete rebuilds to engines. This is the only way they can warranty the engine. Everything must be put back to factory specs. If you do it yourself and check the engine out properly, in many cases you can get away with a partial rebuild. If you take it to a shop, then they will tell you what is needed. In other words, don't ask someone else to just put in rings without checking the engine out thoroughly. That could be a major mistake.