Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BradW

Oil

BradW
I am wondering what oil weight I should use for winter time operation? I have a B-112 and the sticker is kinda peeled and I could only make out "For winter time operation use 5W-??" I put in 5W-30, is that okay or was it supposed to be something else?-BradW

BradW
Yeah, I use penzoil HD S.A.E 30 class "SC" in my mowers for summer use, but I bought a snowblade this summer and I want to use my b-112 with it, just wasn't sure if I needed 5w-20 or 5w-30. Thank you for your help.-BradW

BradW
Brad this is write from the Briggs manual that I have. WINTER (Below 40*F.) Use 5w-20 If not available Use SAE 10w ........................................................... SUMMER (Above 40*F.) Use SAE 30 If not available Use SAE 10w30 ........................................................... Any high quality detergent oil having the Amerecan Petroleum Institute classification "For Service MS" can be used in your Bringgs & Stratton engine. I hope this helps, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. The manual that I used for this information is for the model #'s 243431 to 243434.

swood
I have spent 15 years in the Lubricant business. 5w-30 is the oil of choice for just about all engines under 40 degrees. Older manuals will say a 10w or even 5w-20. straight weight oils are all they had back when these were new. 5w-20 is not as handy to find as it once was, I almost always use 10w-30 in my truck as well as all my tractors. Come warmer weather go back to a straight 30. Try to stick to specific brand only because they all have different detergent packages and if you change oil often with various brands, you create a washout in the motor. Going from a store brand to a high market brand,ie-Kendall,Pennzoil, you could possibly see leaks, keep using a high detergent oil and they usally will seal the leaks itself.