Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Implement question; Aerator

Isleblue65

Hi, can anyone recommend a good plug style tow behind aerator? Did Simplicity/ AC make an aerator for towing behind a garden tractor. The Home depot/ Lowes $169 plug removal aerators have a reputation for poor durability. I could rent a good one every time at $30 per 3 hours, but I'd rather have my own so I'll be sure to aerate twice a season. On another note, I'm going to be looking at a Simplicity snowblower attachment in the next few days, but first I'll post a photo of it here (once I have the photo) so you knowledgeable kind folks can help me to make sure it will work with my 7016.

I have one of the Lowe's units too, used 2 years over a fairly large area and it still looks pretty good. I have loaded it heavy with up to 6 cement blocks, normally 4 though. My only negative with it is that there are not enough tines, I wish the tine wheels were closer together and that the tine wheels had more spokes on them. Not being in the lawn care business I don't really need a super duty unit, just one that works for ocasional use. Personally, I hate spending money renting equipment!

My last tractor haul included a Craftsman plug aerator. I didn't think it would do much,but it surprised me. Did a nice job. It has 4 tines per "wheel",and 6 wheels.

Thanks for the replies, I went and saw the Northern Tools 50" unit (on sale for $129 now) and it looked OK. Wheels were a little wobbly, and tines a little dinged up, but that was the floor model. The Agri-Fab units look a little better in the picture on the internet, but at $239. I haven't found a local place where I can kick the tires on that one yet. If the Agri-Fab quality jumps out at me, I'll spring for that one. Otherwise Northern Tool here I come. Too bad Simplicity didn't/ doesn't make one, as I'm sure the quality would be top notch.

Simplicity did make one...It is a PTO powered unit that is a dethacher and aerator..just adjust the depth for which you are using it for..It correct name is the Revitalizer...nice thing with this is it can also be used as a slit seeder..I have one and it works real well..The aerating part of it I am not sure I like to well but I sure do like the rest of its features..

I'm definitely looking for the plug type. It sounds like that Revitalizer is more of a spike aerator/multi machine Kevin? I will take a trip to Sears to see what theirs look like too. I'll report back on what I come up with. Craig

i bought a lesco 48" tow behind or 3 point aerator. its a commercial unit, built like a tank. http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=6&SKUGroupID=295 i didnt buy new, found a great used unit for 300.00

Here is a picture of the revitalizer. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1972/revitalizer.htm I like mine but I do feel my Lowe's agri fab core aerator is more effective for aerating..When I researched for a core aerator I found that the agri fab one had a nicer easier to reach handle to raise/lower the thing from the tractor seat than the others had..

The Agri Fab one for the money is a good deal, and like mowerman stated you can reach the handle from the seat... Mowerman and I also rented a blue Bird once that worked nice also....