Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 Making it fall ready

FastPaul

Well I got busy this afternoon,I ripped the motor out to find a broken piston and top ring ,That expains all the smoke!! The cylinder wall did'nt look bad at all,So I headed over to the local simplicity dealer,You,d love this place,He has so much old stuff. The owner a one man band old school dealer said he could get me the piston and rings in a couple of days, I told him of my adventure this weekend at the Ct. tractor show and what I came home with He said he had the canopy and the back door for the cart and an origanal blower to cart hose,I coulden't resist,It wasen't cheep but it'll be well worth it's when it up and running,

From what he tolt me these cart covers are slill avalable

now the question is are you gonna run a hone up and down a couple of times or not? at times i have been tempted not to..but i think it helps the new rings seat better if you do hatch it a bit. scott

Yes I'm going to hone it a litte;)
quote:
Originally posted by plastikosmd
now the question is are you gonna run a hone up and down a couple of times or not? at times i have been tempted not to..but i think it helps the new rings seat better if you do hatch it a bit. scott

Hey Paul, how much do the covers run? I was going to make one up but if the price is not too bad, I'd rather have a nice one.

Everyone seems to find all the good stuff but me...Well I take that back..I find all sorts of great deals for Bunky on his green tractors..I guess I will have to start checking things out before telling him...

quote:
Originally posted by Killer_A-C
Paul that will make a nice exibit at Spring Fling 2007!!!!!
I'll secound that Matt^ I'm getting excited thinking about S/F 07 already.8D

Aw come on guys, give me a little time till SF. I'm going to look at a project this evening that may be a hit at SF if I get it. :D Paul, Elon, and Maynard don't have excuses for not being there, since we have all seen the traveling rigs that they now have. 8D

• 3 weeks later...
UDC: What is the benefit to the screen rear hatch? I will be looking into a new canvas myself and you keep telling us to go with screen, how come? Wayno

No air resistance. The canvas only has a small air outlet opening at the top. Also you can see how full it is. and about $50.00 cheaper.

wayno Look at this link and look at the sides of the the canvas at how much it is puffed out from the side of the trailer. That is from build up of air with no way to get out the screen will give it a place to escape. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70572

I have to disagree with you guys on the rear screen,It was designed that way for a reason,The outlet is just as big as the inlet plus it expands the cavas cover and maks it much bigger ,more room plus it seems to make more internal presure packing the leaves in tighter thus not having to empty the cart as often.I would guess about 150 to 200 lbs of leave pack into the cart .I no when I empty it the're packed in very tight.Just my opinion;)

Paul, the pressure isn't required for packing the leaves. Positive pressure in the trailer means back pressure at the deck. This translates to less air flow under the deck and less abiliaty to pull leaves up into the air flow. Most users want the added abiliaty to pull up the debris out of the grass. On the other hand if this doesn't need the added modification for your needs then fell free to stay with the OEM setup.

Well all I know is that it works awesome the way It's made, If it needed more air flow I think the screen door would be factory.I think this would be interesting to compare' Mabey I Rig up a rear screen door to see if there's any real difference I'll keep you posted

quote:
Originally posted by FastPaul
I think this would be interesting to compare' Mabey I Rig up a rear screen door to see if there's any real difference I'll keep you posted
What you don't want to run out and buy another canvas set?? }:):o):D

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
:) I coulden't resist :D:D:D:D Do I detect an addiction?
Naw, Not Paul, no addiction here.......:D:D Nice looking fall rig there Paul

I would be curious how much cleaner the path would be with a screen back. Of course the cleaner the path is one thing but if it creates more lifting/suction, then maybe it would prevent periodic clogging at the discharge shoot on the deck when going through thick or damp leaves. Oak and Catawba trees stink! How fine is the screen that you have used? Is it cloth, plastic or metal ? Also, Paul, Where did you get that hose going to the cart? I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement for mine. I have several small holes in mine. I would also like to replace the "clear" plastic shoot from the discharge shoot to the black elbow. Is this available through Simplicity still? Any idea how much? Wayno

The screen will work as well, if not better than having the canvas in that area. I would imagine that the reason the canvas back was in the original, was to prevent the need for making a tailgate, and make that part easier to store when using the cart without the vacuum. To build a screened tailgate would have added quite a bit of cost to the parts, and would have required more assembly time. Just remember, that many designs are, the way they are, because of the cost to build. They are not all designed to be the most effective. I agree with Maynard that a screened in back and top will probably work more effectively.