Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front Axle Wishbone Greasable Rear Pivot

stevenj

I finished Part II of my front axle improvements on my 17GTH-L. The first modification was a front axle support bracket described in the following post. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68701 Here's the bracket and axle with a fresh coat of paint.

The rear wishbone pivot was showing a little wear and I wanted to be able to grease the pivot, but since I don't have access to a machine shop I needed to come up with a simple solution. First I purchased two new rear pivot bearings (P/N 1653876). I used a 1/2-14 NPT pipe tap and tapped the end of one of the new pivot bearings 3 to 4 threads deep. The diameter of the hole is a little larger than recommended for a 1/2" pipe tap but there is still enough of the thread profile to function.

I purchased a brass 1/2" NPT to 1/8" NPT reducer bushing. I cut off some of the initial threads to shorten up the reducer and added a 1/8" NPT grease fitting. Here it is threaded into the pivot bearing.

And here's a picture showing the inside of bore with the reducer bushing installed.

Next thing I need to do was to move the pivot bearing forward so that it acts on a part of the rear pivot shaft that was not already worn. I used a piece of 3/8" thick steel and drilled holes to match those in the pivot bearing. This moves the front pivot bearing forward 3/8".

Here's a few pictures showing the three pieces installed. You can see the grease at the forward edge in the pictures. This should keep the pivot nicely greased and if any contaminants do get into the rear bearing, a couple of pumps of grease should purge them right out.

And here's Part III of the front axle modifications - Torrington needle thrust bearings added to the spindle kingpins. Everything looks OK except I had to use the 0.030" thrust washers on both sides of the bearing. I tried to use a 0.060" washer on top of the bearing but then I couldn't install the e-clip on the RH spindle. Haven't had a chance to install them and try them out yet.