Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
stevenj

Powder Coated Wheels

Bunky
I haven't heard of anyone on here having them done, but I know of a guy on another Forum that from time to time sells wheels and offers them powdercoated and it's not that much more.....

ehertzfeld
Rob-b is powder coating a tractor. I don't think he has gotten to the rims yet. I asked a few tire shop the we deal with at work, but they can't, the rims are too small and will fall thru their machine. They said the smallest they can do is 17 inch rims.

ka9bxg
I have not done the rear rims done.The rims turned out well with white on for my simplicity trailer. I did the rest of the B1 tractor with yellow. A guy at work had his done it was called crome but came out more silver.Bob

mowerman1193
Club member samson powder coated his B-10 I think it was..I have not seen him on in a long time so maybe he is no longer a member..If I remember right I belive he said it cost him around $150..I think he had the parts all sandblasted and ready though..

tractormike
I have had a couple of pairs of rear 12 inch rims blasted and powder coated. I take mine to a tire service center that has a machine to refurbish semi truck rims. The machine blastes the rims clean and then they paint them. Colors are limited. I have mine done in white. If the rims are rusty they do a great job in cleaning them up. The cost is 40.00 for a pair of rims, blasted and painted.

tractormike
The tire shop I take stuff to can do down to 12 inch rims. The 8 inch rims are to small for their blaster. In their blaster machine the rims ride on rollers and turn as the shot is blasted around the rims. Their machine is made for semi rims. I have had them blast rims and not paint them and then I paint them myself for different colors. They charge half price $20.00 to blast a pair of rims and not paint them.

Boney
I had an oportunity to powder coat my tractor a while back reasons i didnt Con- if it cracks it is hard to fix - Many of the holes will get smaller causing many things not to fit. ever watch those chopper guys on tv after they get a fram powder coated, they are wacking bolts with hammers to get them to fit in the hole, not somthing I like to do. - If you dont get EVERY bit of rust the powder coat will bubble, like paint. Pros- a generally durable finish. somthing to talk about. Just my 2 cents

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by Boney
I had an oportunity to powder coat my tractor a while back reasons i didnt Con- if it cracks it is hard to fix - Many of the holes will get smaller causing many things not to fit. ever watch those chopper guys on tv after they get a fram powder coated, they are wacking bolts with hammers to get them to fit in the hole, not somthing I like to do. - If you dont get EVERY bit of rust the powder coat will bubble, like paint. Pros- a generally durable finish. somthing to talk about. Just my 2 cents
I don't think powder coating is any thicker than paint..If paint is put on in the proper process (ie sealer primer,sandable primer and paint)

Ketchamized
I just don't understand why the tire shops can't just bolt a strip of plywood onto the rims to prevent them from falling through the hole? If it must be circular in shape, why not just get an old steering wheel that's 20 inches or bigger and bolt it onto the center? "It will fall through"- I think that's just an excuse not to work on em.

mowerman1193
quote:
Originally posted by Ketchamized
I just don't understand why the tire shops can't just bolt a strip of plywood onto the rims to prevent them from falling through the hole? If it must be circular in shape, why not just get an old steering wheel that's 20 inches or bigger and bolt it onto the center? "It will fall through"- I think that's just an excuse not to work on em.
Because people today do not go the extra mile to help some one like they used to at the mom & pop service stations ect..If they ruin yor wheel they are liable to pay for that wheel with todays sue happy world..I don't blame them..I used to love to restore and repaint cars and do P.M. on cars ect for coworkers ect..But I don't like to do any of the stuff any more just for those reasons..Very few select people will I work on their stuff anymore..I have never had any bad experiance's but just to be safe I won't work on the stuff now so I don't get any bad experiance's..

Bunky
I have to agree with mowerman Service stations and places like this are too afraid of being sued.. It's too bad someone couldn't design a blaster like that for 12" and under wheels..