Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Disaster averted

Simplicity314

I downloaded the manual for the 3212H (the H is important) I got recently, to go through the thing and see if it runs and drives. Well, I read through the transmission section, the one up front, and it says to use 90W. So I fill the Vickers hydro case with 80-85-90W. Well, later, I'm scrolling down to the diagrams, and I see the section on hydro transmissions, and it strongly recommends (okay, requires) Dextron ATF. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't go out and get a battery yesterday to try and fire it up. I doubt pushing it a total of 15 feet did anything and the tranny was disengaged. The nice clean 80-90 is draining as we speak. They really should have put that information further up front.:o) By the by...what's the deal with the filters? Are they available? If not, is it possible to clean the media? Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
By the by...what's the deal with the filters? Are they available? If not, is it possible to clean the media? Thanks.
They are rather pricey, here is the listing from Jack's Small Engine. Pt No - 2166147 Description - ELEMENT FILTER F Price - $39.80 You might try crossing it over at NAPA, but to answer your question, yes they are still available. You don't want to get the cheapest one out there for this application, however.

Thanks Mike...I'll see if she runs and drives first, then bite the bullet and pick one up since I don't know the history of the machine.