Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Simplicity 7120 Honda Repower

PeppyDan

A few of you may vaguely remember a Honda repower I started on a couple of years ago. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=35976&SearchTerms=honda http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=40280&SearchTerms=honda I've been using it all summer to made sure it had no bugs to work out. I am happy to say it has been performing great! So here it is all done and ready for use or show!

So here's what I've done. I rebuilt the BGB using all new bearings, seals & the output shaft. I also installed a new bearing for the cone clutch and installed a new outer clutch hub. It got both new idler pulleys on the tractor for the mower deck belt routing. I installed a new hour meter, key switch and amp gauge. I created my own wire harness to include the requirements for the Honda engine and also kept the low oil shutdown option on the engine functioning. I installed new bushings in the front axle and used Timken? bearings at the pivots for the spindles. I rebuilt the steering box and modified it to use a bearing and seal with a grease zerk instead of the bushing on the steering shaft. The combination of these two modifications have made it steer very nice and should last for many years. I sandblasted everything except the engine and 3 of the wheels. The reason I only sandblasted one front wheel was because the other front wheel was new. It was on a tractor that I had parted out a couple of years ago. The back wheels were also about new. The previous owner had bought a new Simplicity and wanted his ag tires on his new tractor so he just swapped the wheels. I had purchased the decals when I started the project with the exception of the black headlight decal and the 7120 decals which I had made at local sign shop. I had intended this to be my mowing tractor but has turned out so nice that maybe I'll need to fix up a different tractor for that. This tractor is a joy to run and will be a good addition to my fleet. Dan

Fantastic looking job ya done there. How quiet is the machine?? I think those Hondas are quieter than a Briggs. JH

Johnmonkey, the tractor is very quiet. It may also help that I ran the exhaust out under the front of the frame instead of using the hole in the right side of the frame. Dan

Nice restoration on the tractor, some well thought out enhancements, plus a nice clean repower, makes for a great looking and even better performing unit. As usual, very nice work.

Very nice work. Looks as good if not better than a factory installation. What did you use for a seat or seat cover? The pattern looks different than the stock seat.

Thanks for all your kind comments! Stevenj, it was a cover that I've had in my basement for several years and kida forgot about. I'm not sure where I got it from. I sandblasted, primered and painted the seat pan before installing the new cover. I wasn't sure about going grey with it but thought the black pan was just too plain. I didn't really know what other color would look good. Dan

Dan, Great work. I like it. ^ Be nice to have a write up and pictures of the complete project to post in the DIY or Tech Tips section.

Roy, unfortunatly these are about the only pics I have of the project. I kinda forgot to take pics as I went. Most of the frame and engine bay mods are in the link. Sorry, Dan