Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FC Series (now with pictures)

HubbardRA

Any of you guys have an FC series mower(large version of a SunRunner)? Just picked one up yesterday evening. 16 Hp, 48 inch cut. Needs some minor engine work from a fuel fire. Cost = $50. I had to get it at that price. Looks like it would be an awesome mower.

Doesn't look like the fire did much damage to the engine. Fuel pump has been removed and looks like that was the primary casualty of the fire. I need to remove the shroud and check out the magnetos and wiring. There are a few wires that need to be replaced because of melted insulation. It looks to have been a fuel fire, not an electrical fire. Possibly a vacuum fuel pump malfunction. I think they were plastic on these engines. Looks like a nice design flaw on these mowers. If the fuel pump leaks, the gas drops down onto the bottom plate and runs straight down to the hot muffler. I think a modification will be in order, before my rear sits over top of that engine.

16FCH48 MFG# 1691656

Operaters Manual [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3186_02_FC_S.pdf[/url] Parts Manual [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1152_02_FC_S.pdf[/url] Repair Manual [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3521_00_FC_S.pdf[/url]

I liked their performance well enough to buy a new Lancer last year. The foot control Hydro on the Lancer is the one improvement I thought needed done to the Sunrunner and FC series.

I inserted the pictures in my initial post, but had to add this post to bring it back to the top so that people would see the pictures.

Rod, Wow, that's a fantastic deal! All you need is a rear tailgate and some light engine work and you're good to go! Can't beat that.

Erick, I didn't need it, didn't have room for it, and really didn't want it, but just couldn't pass it up when I saw it. That thing is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Those two-cylinder B/S Vanguard engines are sweet when they are running right. Once I get it running again, I will make a tailgate to match the existing side racks. My youngest son, Randy, loves the look of it. Maybe with that one running, I can get him to mow the lawn, instead of me. Yeah, Right!

Well, I got lucky again. Saw a twin cylinder 18 Hp B/S engine listed in the newspaper for $50 and just bought it. Looks like a drop-in, even the exhaust looks like it will fit the mower. Now it may only take a few minutes to do a little engine swapping, and this machine might be good to go. Will let you know. Have to get some time to work on it first.

Rod, when you get that running and start using it. You will like the way they mow. They are nice for going around things!

Shannon, look at Maynards insert. Specifically the picture on the left. It appears there are rear rollers. If you look right in front of the drive wheel you'll see what looks like a little bit of a roller there. Also, in Rods first photo you can see the assembly that adjusts the rear roller bar(Black verticle adjustment handle). I would say yes, it has rear rollers. And judging from the over all condition of the FC, I would say that the rollers are there and functioning. Nice score Rod!! Has a 16hp vanguard and it is a sweet running engine with oil filter, low pressure cut off and oil light. Don't throw that 16hp away. It looks like an easy fix and someone with a broadmoor may be interested in it. They are almost a direct replacement into a broadmoor. Only slight clearance issues.

Cool find...I have 2 sunrunners...both 12hp, one is hydro with 36" deck the other is 5sp with 48"deck... In the spring Id like to make a hydro,48" mower...and a 36" 5sp...From looking at yours, Is it really bigger? or just a later model?? It looks to me to be teh same size roughly...

Jay, I have no idea what size the Sunrunners are. This FC is the first of this type that I have seen up close, and I bought it. I thought the Sunrunners were smaller than this, maybe not. I really don't know. This is why I posted the topic. Shannon/Zippo, Yes the mower deck has full rollers across the back and it pivots at the front, just like the large frame tractors do. You can see the front pivots in the pictures. The large lever on the left side of the tractor (with the bungie hanging from it) lifts the deck off the ground, and the smaller lever on the right side adjusts the height of cut.

1986-1989 they were called SunRunners & Vanguards 8hp & 12hp. In 1989 to 1997 they were called FC (front Cut) H (hydro) G (gear) 1300 & 2300's 12hp 12.5hp & 16hp Same Machine different designations.

I made a little headway on this machine. I removed the Vanguard, and sat the 18 Hp twin in its place. The 18 Hp engine is taller and interferes with the hood/seat mount. I will have to modify the hinges to move the hood/seat mount about 2 inches vertically to clear the engine. Otherwise it appears to be a straight drop in. May get back to it this weekend.

Rod, I have a 16hp vanguard sitting on a shelf here. Not advertising something for sale. If you have a want or need for it maybe we can swap. Should be a direct drop in replacement. sean

Sean, thanks for the offer. If you were closer, maybe we could do the swapping. I'm guessing that shipping the two engines would cost about $160 or more. My Vanguard is also still usable. It needs a fuel pump, one ignition unit, the wire between the two ignitions with the diodes that hooks to the kill switch, and new fuel lines. I want to go ahead with installing the 18 Hp. More power is always good, right. Also the exhaust setup on this other engine is perfect for this machine and will allow elimination of the plate underneath, that was apparently part of the cause of the two previous fires.

• 3 weeks later...
Just picked up an older Sunrunner myself last week,12hpBriggs single/hydro.with the small deck.Had been parked two yrs after quitting while mowing and retired/replaced w/Deere.A little beat up,but fuel pump kit brought it to life.Lotta stress cracks in sheet metal and deck in hard used but fixable.No pix as camera dead at present.Snagged Accessory,Parts,Shop manuals off flEaBay.About$80 total invested....also have line on gear drive Deutz Allis lil brother :)