Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
ehertzfeld

what did I get my self into?????

ehertzfeld
Well seeing the Mott flail mower was still on the 3012 that didn't want to go to the show, I figured I play with it the other day. I have a bunch of leaves on the ground so I figured what a good time to play.:D Well it did OK, but I noticed that it mowed better wile backing up. I would drive forward with the mower mowing, then back over it again. It really looks like it was doing a much better job when I backed over it. So tonight I figured I'd check the blades out. They are reversible, so lets reverse them! But after thinking about it, I figured since I will have them out anyway, I mite as well take them all out and sharpen them fully. ALL 88 OF THEM!!!!![:0] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/knives.jpg[/img] Most are in good shape, some are bent, and some are just gone!:(! [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/knives3.jpg[/img] Well I got a few sharpened. I didn't want to use the bench grinder seeing there only about 2inches long and 3/4 inches wide. So I started with a hand file. WOW that is going to take a long time!!! The Dremel came out and does a great job. Still going to take a lot of time. I guess I thought I didn't have enough projects going on right now:D

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
No pain, no gain. After you do yours you can come sharpen mine. I'll let you know in advance, my flail mower is 60"s wide.lol
Dave, I think I'll pass on that one.;):D

Al
Hi, I had a 72" Mott and used a small angle grinder and sharpened them right on the mower. Also on miine you could flip the gear box over and drive from the other side and have it turn into the grass instead of with the direction of travel. Al Eden

ehertzfeld
Al, the did try to turn the belt around to drive it opposite. It did cut very well that way, but I didn't like the clipping and other things shooting out in front. I have two kids around and didn't think that would be best.