Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Work in Progress" pics (snow cab)

Simpleton7016

Welp, I finally got some time to put the snowcab together. I am kind of cobbling it from parts from 3 different cabs, but I wanted the hard front windshield like Maynards and the only one I could find was from a Bolens. Let me tell you....now I know why people leave these assembled in the winter and hang themfrom the rafters! Lots of pieces and there are a lot of adjustments to be made to get everything to line up right. I still have a ways to go as far as tweaking, but it might be a month before I get time to finish it. So here are the premature pictures of a "not dialed in mutt cab" on the 912.

The dash required some customization, but I finally got with the help of some spacers provided by Chris Geise at Original Tractor Cab. (And yes, with BLT's assistance, the hydro lift is installed and operational. Sure make rototilling a lot easier....I hope the same is true for snowblowing!

Now I need to find a replacement wiper:

And here are a few of those pesky leaks. Anyone have any suggestions for filling the gaps? I know the cab is not ever going to be air tight, but I want it as "snow-tight" as possible.

Looks good. Ready for the Heavy stuff! For the Cracks and holes I would get a old canvas tarp and put out strips and Glue/Apoxy them over the cracks. Or mabey some expanding foam?

Don't worry about the gaps. You will be plenty warm enough. You want a bit of air flow so your window don't fog up too much. Also with carbon monoxide on the mind, a bit of air is a good thing. Looks great to me though. Your going to love having it trust me! OH, I'll be watching for a box to show up:D

Simpleton, For the gaps- I'd buy a couple of carwashing sponges- the big porous ones- and cut a piece off, stick it in the hole and trim around it and make it custom-fit. Maybe even apply paint on the sponge so that it'll stiffen up the sponge. If you're worried about carbon monoxide, don't paint the sponge. You did well in marrying the parts together. Looks great- Looks as good as original to me. :)

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Don't worry about the gaps. You will be plenty warm enough. You want a bit of air flow so your window don't fog up too much. Also with carbon monoxide on the mind, a bit of air is a good thing. Looks great to me though. Your going to love having it trust me! OH, I'll be watching for a box to show up:D
What he said! That cab should work out very well for you.

A work in progress might be another name for it. Where/how did you come up with Bolens front, is that new? If so, what model? I like the idea of hard front, and would like to look into converting mine also. Generally though, I haven't seen the need to have it on with the tiller. I agree with leaving it assembled over the summer, been doing it that way also.

Too funny guys! A "wprk in progress" it will be! Ken, I picked up the cab earlier this summer for FREE from a guy who wanted room in his shed. It is from the 70's and is very similar to "ours" because it was manufactured by the same company - Original Tractor Cab company.

I cleaned it up and the fiberglass underside cleans up to a real nice green. However, I had to make some fairly significant alterations. First, I used the frame from a 900 series, but had to use the dash frame from the bolens because it did not have that "bend" in it for the manual lift - it is a straight bar across the dash. I had to cut off the two welded braces that mount into the dash because it did not give me enough room to turn the steering wheel. Instead, I used two of the brackets that normally bolt to the running boards. I needed to bend them to fit and bolted them into the straight bar. Speaking of thise running bord cab braces....the ones for the 900 series cab barely suppoted the weight of the hard windshield and roof. Fortunately, whomever owned the cab before me must have had the same problem and welded some addition support onto those braces. Also, the "upright pieces" on either side of the windshield for the 900 series cab have a slight bend in them. I just couldn't get the fiberglass windshield frame to fit around them, so I ended up using the uprights from the Bolens (unfortuante because I did not have them painted up nicely). The Bolens ones were staight and the windshield frame fit perfectly. Other than that, there are an awful lot adjustments that need to be made to get the doors to close just right and line up with the roof without too large of gaps at the seams. BUT, I did do some tilling in a fairly brisk and cold 30 degree wind.....it was pretty nice in the cab! woohoo

Nice looking cab. I wouldn't get concerned with the small gaps. Here is as link to the cab I built with the help of my brother in law. I have never had the windows fog or steam up and feel it's because of the gaps designed in. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11906&SearchTerms=cab Dan

erik, forget the cab, (imo) i blowed the snow 2 times last winter with my cab, and i didin't like it. the third time, i took the cab off i threw on my carharts and a cap and a good pair of gloves and i was happy being in the open. but thats just me. but you must take into granted i work outside most of the time in the winter so im used to it!

quote:
Originally posted by shanhamm
erik, forget the cab, (imo) i blowed the snow 2 times last winter with my cab, and i didin't like it. the third time, i took the cab off i threw on my carharts and a cap and a good pair of gloves and i was happy being in the open. but thats just me. but you must take into granted i work outside most of the time in the winter so im used to it!
That's great for you kids, but us "seasoned Veterans", (read "old farts") really apreciate the relative comfort of a cab.:D:D If you have moved snow without it, I think you will love it.

Thanks again guys. Dan, that is a most unbelievable display of craftsmanship! Kudos! I remember coming across that in the archives a whlie ago. Thanks for pointing it out again. And Shannon, we still need to meet. My driveway is pretty small, but I blew last year and it sucked. Usually, I plow to early in the morning to actually use my brain to work "with the wind". More than anything else, the cab is just a new "toy". Maybe the novelty will where off and I will follow your lead, but it sure was nice tillng in the frigid wind we had a few days ago. I would like to install an overhead UV bulb so I can get a tan while I am blowing! 8D

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
quote:
Originally posted by shanhamm
That's great for you kids, but us "seasoned Veterans", (read "old farts") really apreciate the relative comfort of a cab.:D:D If you have moved snow without it, I think you will love it.
Comet I have to agree After having my Cab on my RBT I would love to find one for my Deere's or My B112.. And I'm not even a Old Fart

I had a cab mounted on a 1964 Landlord..I loved having it on there but I also liked not having it on, LOL...Guess some of it was my cordination as I seemed to always hit the shifter getting in and out of it...One time I nocked it hard enough to put it in gear and run myself over, LOL. The tractor seemed much louder with it on as well as exhaust fumes..I could never take it off and mount it back up without scratching the crap out of the tractor..Then storing the thing was a pain too..I ended up hving a dedicated cab tractor for a couple years until I sold the tractor and cab.. I have since gotten a 42" blower for my Wheel Horse and the shoot design of that IMO is much better than that of the Simplicity blowers that I have had..The shoot is not very tall and it guides the snow more outward away from the operator and tractor rather than the pu and outward of the Simplicity..I hardly get any snow on me with the Wheel Horse but would come in like a snowman after using the Simplicity..

• 2 weeks later...
FYI I had a REAL hard time uploading these pictures....not sure if it is on my end or Simple Tractors....probably the former. OK...decided to go with the original front skirt. It fits the tractor better, but not the hard front windshield. I used the upper portion of the Bolens front skirt and zipped it to the bottam portion of my 900 series cab. What a mutt! So it is really a horse a piece - draft near the legs or draft near the fingers. In the years to come, I will resolve some of these "fit" issues....but for now, I will just be happy to keep the snow off of me. :D Glas to say though that I got some front weights from Lloyd and they fit perfectly!

Zip Ties!:D:D See about getting a small zipper from a fabric store and hand sew it in that gap, that way you can take it apart and put it all back together. Or you can tuck that section to the iside, so it keeps out snow.