Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Few questions re: a 3212

Simplicity314

Rewiring a 3212 sovereign. My questions are: What is the proper routing of the safety switch wires? As I found them, they went through the channel under the "console.," and up through where the steering column is. As I'm sure you can guess, the steering column wore the insulation away, as well as the rear fenders being lifted--dropped--rubbed against the wires at the rear. There seems to be some holes to run wires through to the firewall, but that would put those wires under the gas tank or dangerously close to the flywheel screen. Also, the ground wire that goes from the engine to the volatage regulator---is the purpose of that to ground the VR to the engine, or ground the engine to the firewall? One of the little rubber grommet thingies for the voltage regulator is missing, and I wonder if that is supposed to isolate that ground from the firewall, or if the missing grommet is causing that wire to ground to the firewall when it is supposed to be isolated from it and grounded to the VR. Good God,I hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance. --Jim

Jim, I couldn't tell you about any safety devices, all my tractors that had them were taken out a long time ago. If you can't figure it out, I would just not put them in.

Keep in might the circuit in most garden tractors is the ground type, also called frame ground, where you can take a test light and connect and clip one end to the battery (+) and touch any metalic part of tractor and the light bulb will go on. You can ground that wire any where on frame. If it sparks that is not a grounding wire. Also I think there is only one safety switch, under seat pan, and that is neutral start switch which easy disconnects, I think from poor design.

Thanks! I contemplated pulling out the safety switch but idn't know if it was advisable since it's a hydro. No problem there then. Also, Bob, as far as that ground wire goes, it occured to me that the engine would already be grounded since there are no rubber mounts to insulate the engine like on an auto. Thanks...I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks Ambler...you're right. It's that way on the wiring diagram. When I asked the ques. it was after I looked at the tractor but did not notice the model number, thinking it was missing from the rear fenders. Saw it on the console and downloaded the rightdiagram and manual.