Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4040 Help

scrowba

:)Hello all, Looking for some quick help. I have owned a Broadmoor for 8 years and love it. We are now in the market for a tractor to help us with yardwork. I have come across a Simplicity 4040 with the 16.5hp onan engine. It has bucket,rotoiller,scraper blade,aireator,forks,weight box,chains and almost new ag tires. He is looking for $2,500. I test drove the unit and it seemed pretty strong to me, no weird engine noises or sputtering. It has 0 on the hour meter(never worked), the brakes dont work, the rear pto always runs even when turning the switch to the off position(thats not right, is it?), has not had a oil change in 2 years(lack of use), missing lights, seat mount is broke(easy fix). Any comments on issues or value would be great. Thanks

Tractor plus all the attachments and having ag tires would be good package. Rear PTO should not turn with switch off.

Well price is not unreasonable but, for use you would be going from a simple constructed machine where repairs are easy to make and parts are relatively widely available and cheap...... to a machine that is rather complicated in construction and parts availability is problematic and costs are quite high. As to no time on it, I would be skeptical. Most likley the hour meter is new, or its been unhooked for 30 + years.

I had one of our members state he owns a tractor of this type that has a confirmed 30,000 acres of mowing on its life. with engine overhaul and other repairs over the years.

Well, If you're looking for value, Price out a comarably equiped Kubota or JD. You'll fall over, LOL. Yes, Parts are not available at every corner, you have to LOOK for them. The motor is used in welders, gensets & other applications all over the world. The pto shaft spins when the motor does. The output for the pto will spin sometimes with no load just from drag. ie, If you were to put an implement (tiller) it probably wouldn't spin. Lastly, The 4040 was the lightest made of the series. Only because it was their first stab at making the unit. The 4041 & 9020 only improved on some finer points. So, Can you use it? Can you work on it? If you can't Where is it! LOL IMHO, I think you'll get a LOT of use out of it & have a good investment! Let us know what you do! JP

I have had a 9020 for over 20 years, and love it!! Yes they are expensive to repair but I feel its worth it. The rear PTO has a 40mm bearing in the clutch that may just be stiff from none use which may be causing the PTO to turn, if its bad it is not hard to replace.

Its a very good price on a rugged tractor I have a 720 and love it, you will have to tinker with it as its not a new tractor, but who has $20k to buy one liek it today with all the attatchments that one has

• 3 weeks later...