Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Getting Started on Task Force Orange

The_Newbee

I decided that I would start restoration of the fleet with the 314 Landlord. Since this is 1) the first tractor restoration I have ever done, and 2) the first Landlord I have seen other than pictures, I have a couple of questions: 1. Was the original seat pleated or not? I have seen pics both ways. 2. Was any of the grill or frame originally chrome? Some of the ads make it look like it was, but it is hard to tell. 3. Was the Landlord emblem on the front of the tractor a decal or badge? If anyone has pictures of one in original condition, they would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to, as close a possible, restore to original factory condition. I have the tractor almost disassembled, ready to go to media blasting. A couple of pictures of the original state. I'm sure that as I proceed, I will have about a million questions. Any thoughts, tips or tricks or just words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Has anyone tried to calculate how many years of experience are represented on this site?

That looks like a really good unit to start with. I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you have a fun winter ahead of you.

I wondered what kind of seat it has. I have 2 seat pans of the correct style, but both are in only fair to poor condition. Used to be pretty good at working metal, so I thought I would use one as a template and fabricate one, unless I find one in better condition. If it is a seat from an AC, and a club member wants it, PM me and we'll find a way to get it to you. It does have some Hoosier Engineering on the back of the seat. First one to say they want it, gets it.

The seat is an aftermarket seat not Allis You should be able to find Landlord pictures here. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/simplicity.htm[/url]

I think the gille sides are supposed to be chrome..I think the logo on the front grille was a plate with a decal on it...Northern tool sells a seat that looks very close to the original.. I think you picked the best one to start with..I loved the older round hood style tractors the best...

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
I think the gille sides are supposed to be chrome.. I think you picked the best one to start with..I loved the older round hood style tractors the best...
Are The Sides chrome or were they Covers one of the landlords I had, I thought had covers that were Chrome..?? Yes I also like the Round Fender FDT's .....

[quote]Originally posted by The_Newbee
... Has anyone tried to calculate how many years of experience are represented on this site? UCD alone has at least 50. ;) Tacey

Here's the post of my 66 101 restoration ,Hope this helps you answer some of your questions http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59940

Paul, She's a thing of beauty! The pictures are most helpful. Thank you. I hope mine is half as nice as yours! Can I ask where you got your decals? The manual I downloaded from the Simplicity web site didn't have them in the parts list.