Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission whine

Isleblue65

Hi, just yesterday when I started up the tractor and put the Vickers hydro tranny in reverse, it whined pretty loudly. The noise got louder after 5 minutes of running. It was loud in forward and reverse, but moved just fine. The noise starts off loud and then when I start moving faster it gets quieter. In neutral there is no noise. I lifted the seat and took a look in there and there are no obstructions. The belt is new and everything looks fine, but it does sound like it's coming from the pump. The last owner said he never changed the ATF or filter in the pump, so that's on my list of things to do. I haven't checked the fluid level yet, but there are no leaks and it has run quiet up til now. What does this sound like? How often do you all change out the ATF and filter? Thanks

Well you might want to check the fluid and it maybe a good time to change it and the filter.. There's different opinions on changing the fluid... I would change it every couple of years my self.. depending on use..

I pulled the filter last night and will be on my way to Napa parts after work today for a new one. Some black powdery junk dripped out of the bottom of the filter when I drained the filter upside down for 20 minutes, though the fluid was red and relatively clean. It may have been a little low. Tonight I'll drain the hydro case, replace the filter and refill. Hopefully this will fix the noise.

Just a guess on the black powdery junk.....if the filter has never been replaced till now it is probably a dry rotted oil filter gasket. Just be sure to thoroughly clean the mating surface on the pump where the filter gasket meets and as always, a thin coat of oil to the gasket before seating is a must.

Update: I drained and replaced the Dexron ATF in the Hydro box and filter, and while I was at it, I drained the BGB and replaced the 90wt, which was low anyhow. Not only is the whine sound gone, the hydrostatic tranny goes into gear much more smoothly - not jerky as it did before. And it pulls consistently and steady up the hill in my front yard with no throttle adjustment. - And that is with a 52" plug aerator and 250 lbs of weight in tow! :p With only the mower deck on it before, it would bog down and then speed up once it got back on flat ground. Never thought a simple hydro fluid and filter change would make that much difference, but it did. Definitely something to keep in mind for those of you with jerky or noisy transmissions.