Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Repair

newcombdh

I guess I should have ask this question on this forum instead of the technical one, see how new I am at this? Anyway, what is the best way to break the front tire and get to the tube. I think this has been on the tractor since it was new. I finally got one side broke, but after much pushing and pounding with the tire tools I have the other side still does not budge. Can a tire place (35 miles away) work on these small tires?? Thanks for your help. Duane

some place Can and will work on Small tires others won't you might want to call I bought one of those mini tire changers from Harbor Freight snd it has worked great....

1) Put it in a 6" vice. 2) Use a bumper jack with the base on the bead. 3) Use a 2x6 with one end on the bead and drive vehicle onto it.

I made mine by using a 3/4" x 6 bolt welded threads up on a heavy steel plate. I drop on a large flat plate washer, pipe spacer, second washer and then a nut to secure the wheel. I then have a large splitter fork from the auto store with a chunk of flat bar welded on at 90 degrees. Just push down and the bead is broken. The center post also then works to pull a bar around to demount and remount the tire. I think the mini tire changer would be much nicer but I needed something in a hurry one day and now that I have this made from parts around the shop and it works so good I most likley won't buy the tire changer. jw

Are these small tire changers equally good at mounting the tires. I struggles with some 8" front tires yesterday and was not successfull at getting the second tire bead onto the tire.

This has come up before. I like my tire changer for ease of operation. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67287 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68786&SearchTerms=tire+changer

Thanks John, I checked on the past look at this problem that you noted, lots of good information there. Thanks again, Duane

I have one of the larger manual tire changers from Homier Tools. It is easy to break the beads loose on the small wheels. For mounting and dismounting the tires, I just use large screwdrivers, soap for lubrication, and a small hammer to aid in the re-mounting process. I can tell you that these little tires are much easier to deal with than radial automobile tires. I just did one for one of my trailers. I had to cut the bead to get the tire off the rim. Didn't have much trouble putting the new tire on the wheel.