Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Foozen Grass mowing ???

MPH

Been watching the temps in Tok on this .com machine and looking like when I get home may still have some daytime temps in the uper 30's low 40's with night time low 20's upper teens. My question is, is it smart to mow grass that has been frozen at nite for several weeks. Haven't been home to mow since labor day and I really hate to leave the voles with so much cover for the winter. Thanks for any good guess based on having done that.8

I've mowed early in the A.M. when there was still frost on the grass,always came out fine,i never tried to use a catcher though.

I think it is really hard to hurt grass, unless starved for moisture, and it has amazing recuperative powers when it does get moisture. Think about what it goes through in a winter and it still comes alive in spring. I would'nt hesitate to mow. Just my opinion though.

Never, never, mow frozen grass. The mowing doesn't hurt it, but the grass blades are broken off by the wheels etc. I have seen where somebody had walked across a golf green and the same person walked across the baseball diamond I was maintaining and you could see every foot print! Another case where a large reel type mower did the same thing. In both cases the grass was severely injured to the point that at least 50% died. Some of it may have been the specific variety of grass and some may have been everything being "just right" so this happened. I have heard from several sources that disturbing frosted grass is not a good idea. If your really fussy about your yard, I would stay off untill the frost is gone. Ken

Maybe I misinterpreted the post, but I got the idea he was asking about grass that ' has,' been frozen at night. Daytime temps 30's and 40's. Not actually mowing frozen grass.

It will cause the tips of the grass to go brown when it freezes. No lasting damage really, but short term might not look great. Really, you shouldnt do it, but I would rather have a brown lawn for a few days that having long uncut grass all winter.