Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simp 4040 charging

john

i have a simp 4040 that i have done a lot of work to including a new stator in the charging system and it worked fine for some time, but now when it runs it shows discharge adn the battery does run down after a while. in trying to find the problem i found that it is charging on both sides of the fuse circuit. I mean if i take the fuse out of the fuse holder, the test light comes on on both sides of the wire leading to it and from it, and if i leave the fuse in the circuit it gets very hot but does not blow it out. Any ideas how i can correc this and get it to charge again???? thanks john s.

I had problems with my AC 616 working so so then going to discharge. After I took the one side of the connector (stator to rest of system) out of the bracket that is bolted to the motor and just taped the two parts together seems to be working fine. It seems that the connector looses its snugness, and the fact that one side is held firmly in place the vibration of the engine causes them to work apart. I used electricians tape but want to find something better that will withstand the engine heat. Maybe this will solve your problem also. Good luck , Stan PS anything to keep from having to repeatedly pull the engine ,take off the shrouds ,and pull the flywheel to work on the electrical----right!!!

so i assume you think this is why it does not charge on the ampmeter but turns the test light on on both sides of the fuse of the wires on the fuse circuit. ? john s.

It has been a while since I was involved with the problem, but I think I also had juice on both sides of the fuse holder. But what makes your problem sound similar to mine is the works fine then ending up with going to discharge. My system for a while was erratic--charge discharge. I pulled the engine and all the rest, found the connector not completely together. I put the connector back together using the bracket that is bolted to the motor. I ended up with the same results---- eventually discharge. That is when I pulled it back apart found the connector not completely plugged together,seperated the one side from the bracket plugged them together and taped them. So far is working better than it had been for quite a while. Stan

sorry, it has taken me forever to rply on this one, either wasn't here or didn't see it. thanks much for the info, very cold here i wisconsin now, so may wait till it warms a bit but i will check that out as soon as i c an , cause i really want to use this tractor next summer to do all my mowing. and i want it to work right not be in the shop one way or another for six to ten weeks like last summer. thanks again. john s.