Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winterizing Kit

MisterB

I purchased the snowblower attachment for my tractor from a clubmember several years ago and at the time he gave me one of those metal carb shields/deflectors from the winterizing kit #1690035 I've since "lost" that deflector and wondered if anyone knows if these are still available or perhaps someone might have a spare to sell? The dealer hasn't been much help at this point... Anyone tried making one and have some sort of pattern? Thanks in advance, Ken [img]/club2/attach/MisterB/carbshield.gif[/img]

This is one I made for my tractor last winter. It's not pretty, but it works, and was easy to make. By the way, that tractor is an AC716H, just in case you can't tell. Those old Tecumseh parts can sometimes be useful. :D

Last I had heard those were available, occasionally they show up on ebay. If you have trouble with your local dealer I suggest you try one of the site sponsors.

AS far as I can tell the deflector is no longer available through your dealer.:(But I do have 2 of the 174438 shields,new old stock.:)I would be willing to sell one of them.

What does this deflector do? I was just given an Allis Chalmers 716 16hp Kohler with the snowblower attachment which I was planning on using this winter. Is there something else I should be doing to this tractor before I use it this winter in Minnesota? Should I be using thinner oil? If so, what weight? Other than the deflector, are there other pieces I should know about? I'm very very new to this site and any help sure would be appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by BigWheels
What does this deflector do? I was just given an Allis Chalmers 716 16hp Kohler with the snowblower attachment which I was planning on using this winter. Is there something else I should be doing to this tractor before I use it this winter in Minnesota? Should I be using thinner oil? If so, what weight? Other than the deflector, are there other pieces I should know about? I'm very very new to this site and any help sure would be appreciated.
The deflector does a few things, one is it traps heat around the carb so it doesn't freeze up. It also keeps the snow away, with would freeze the carb up as well. I use 10w40 in all my tractors without any problems. The only other things your going to need is some wheel weights and chains or AG tires. Your going to find out real quick that a cab is going to be on your "wanted" list. In the mean time bundle up and have fun:D