Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K321 Magneto to Alternator Conversion

merlinct7

I'm converting a K321 from magneto to alternator ignition. I have a couple of good 25 amp stators, but only 15 amp voltage regulators. I understand the 25 amp alternator will burn out a 15 amp VR in no time. Question: Can I use any automotive 3 terminal, 12v, 25a VR in this application? Appreciate any thoughts. Bob

I don't think so. The primary voltage from the windings are about 33 volts AC and then rectified to DC and then regulated to what the 12V DC system calls for. The black box automotive regulator you are talking about handles strictly DC.

No an automotive type voltage regulator will not work in this application. The Kohler regulator ( output rectifier controler ) has a diode in it to change the A.C. from the stator to D.C. to charge your battery. Automotive type regulators do not have any power rectifiers in them. Put a .25 ohm 50 watt resistor in the "B" wire from the regulator and your 25 ampere stator can not hurt the regulator. HTH Slin

Why not just get a Kohler 25 amp regulator? I put a Kohler 24 755 144-S kit (I _think_ thats the one I got) on my K along with a 25 amp stator to get a full 25 amp system. Mine had the diode detup before, with the separate Alternating Current light circuit.

Well, I did end up with the Kohler 25A regulator/rectifier, which just arrived today. Looks like it should be the answer. Thanks to all for your thoughts.