Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Alternator attachment

D-17_Dave

If you're talking about the AC generator that mounts on the back it couldn't be worth much. I'll buy it for $25. :o) Seriously, I don't know what one would sell for. Roy

I have a lot of old AC & Simplicity literature. It shows a 5000 watt belt-driven generator, Mfr# 1690558. I think this unit (or ones like it) were made from 1964 to 1985. Since your unit came off a 716, it is probably late 1970's vintage. Old AC parts manuals show that the generator head was built by GENERAC. If your generator head is GENERAC, has 100% copper windings, total "brushless" design and some type of internal circuit breaker, then you have an item that is comparable to generators of today. NH Northern lists a 5500 watt generator head, item# 165913 for $399.99. I would estimate that your unit is worth 20 to 25% of new comparable unit. I have a fellow AC enthusiast who bought a 10,000 watt belt driven generator and fabricated an angle-iron bracket to mount it on a 919 AC. It worked, but he changed it to a direct-drive unit with a dedicated engine, stand and fuel tank for the following reasons: 1. Belt slip (unavoidable) causes voltage and frequency control problems. The unit will power lights and resistance loads like heating elements but sometimes causes motor damage to appliances and frequently harms TV's and electronics. It will derfinitely burn out a microwave oven! 2. The AC 900 series has only a 3 gallon fuel tank, the 700 series was even smaller and the B10, B110, B210 etc had only a six quart fuel tank. You have to re-fuel every hour or two. Impossible for the unit to run overnight. 3. When the generator is in use (after snow, ice, thunderstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes) you need your favorite tractor for snow throwing and debris removal. It was a pain to have the tractor tied to the generator. But you might find a collector who really wants it!

Would anyone happen to know what the alternator attachment from AC for the 716H is worth? My dad has one laying around the shop that has never been used. He sold the tractor that he got it with, and may be interested in selling it if we can find out what its worth.

I just found the owners manuel for it. Its called the BP-5 portable power plant (part no. 9004035)and is complete with the mounting bracket (part no. 9005277), which according to the literature, fits all the B series and the 300, 400, and 700 series (except the 720). Thanks for the previous replies!

The manual I have clearly says that it is 5000 watt. It is made by Generac, as the gentleman above guessed, and is in like new condition. My dad only had it on his tractor once, and I dont believe the person he bought it from ever used it.