Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
D-17_Dave

New Sovereign carburetor problems?

Sandy_Lake_Imp
A black plug means either a rich fuel mixture, misfiring plug,(Plug is going to need changing. Once it gets blackend from a to rich mixture, it will not fire properly), or the choke could be not adjusted right. I would change the plug and check the adustment on the choke first. I would also go to "startup setting" on the carb and adjust it after I got it running, However for sure check the choke adjustment. Congrates on your purchase! DaleC dale.conrad@fuse.net

Sandy_Lake_Imp
I know this is a realll long shot but my new 18 hp Broadmoor was doing what sounds like the same thing and I found that the safety switch on the seat was not adjusted properly and there was not enough weight to hold the switch down all the time when just hitting a small bump or even if I just pushed on the pedel. It would cut out occasionally and even backfire just like an engine lacking gas. The plug I had found to be blackened in color but after the engine had about 25 hours on it they cleared up. It could be your carb but I sure was surprised in what I found. Best of luck with your tractor, >>->happyjack<-<<

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Choke and throttle are all working fine. There are NO adjustments on the carb other than idle speed. All safety ignition interlocks have been temporarily bypassed. Electrical soleniod at bottom of carb has been double-checked. Fuel pump has been double-checked and is OK. Yet this brand-new wondeful machine still "cuts out" and ocassionaly backfires under load, then the egine quits.

D-17_Dave
Thanks to this web site, and its creator (Kent) I discovered that the Sovereigns had been discontinued. Being a loyal A/C Simplicity enthusiast, and owning a restored B-10 that my dad bought new in 1966, and a 914S from 1981, I searched high&low and just bought one of the last 2000 Sovereigns. It is model#1693407 serial #00868. Even though it was attempted to phase the 7100 series out when the SunStar was introduced, I sincerely believe this was the last opportunity I would ever have to own a new one of these fine machines. Problem is, I have only had it a week and the 18 HP OHC Kohler is "cutting out" and occasionaly backfiring. I have verified that the fuel is getting to the fuel pump, and the fuel pump is maintaining 4 psi to the carb. The spark plugs are soot black and I am wondering if I have a fuel starvation problem or a fuel overflow problem. I have verfied that the carb solenoid is operating properly and the carb float and fuel shut off is working. I have fresh fuel in the tank, and have purged the carb bowl and blown out all the gas lines. Of course I am going to take the unit in for warranty service next week, but I was wondering if any of you have heard of similar problems? I am just dying to use this machine!

SmilinSam
My new Soveriegn(wearing Massey Ferguson paint) has gremlins in the carb on its 18ohc too. I'll be mowing away with it when it starts to act fuel starved at which point I have to gradually pull the choke all the way out then it runs fine. About an hour later it starts doing it again at which point you push the choke back in then it runs fine again. Has done this off and on all summer. Have not had time to really sit down and find the problem. ???????????????????????

SimpleMan
I have a 3 year old Sovereign, also with the OHC in it. I found (when it was new) that after the engine would warm up It would (what I call ) surge continuously. After having it to the my dealer numerous times it was figured out that the jetting on the carb was too lean. Apparantly in the quest to develop a lower emission engine, the jetting on the earlier OHC's were too lean for some areas of the country. Perhaps that's one of the downfalls of a carb with few adjustments? At any rate....that is what worked for me, hope you have had (or will have) luck with yours.