Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Model 19 Crankshaft swap?

michigandon

Don, I would get the tractor up and running and see if any other problems pop-up and then take it from there at least you can still use it while your building another engine. Then work on doing the engine write "not that your not" but build up a good engine that suits your needs besides "U" did mention something about "Mother" not being to happy with a non-running tractor and just maybe this would set better with her. Just my opinion. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

Took delivery of my other 700 tonight. Removed the bearing cap from the siezed-up Model 19 that was in that tractor and removed the gear reduction unit from the engine that I already had and swapped the bearing cap. It looks like it's going to work okay, yet at the same time it doesn't........................ The output shaft on this engine is considerably shorter with a pinion gear on the end, as opposed to the long shaft with the keyway normally found on these tractors. I guess this will be okay, but I did get a snowblower with this tractor and I was hoping to put it on and use it this winter. The former reduction-gear engine runs so good that I hate to go ripping it apart and attempting to swap in another crank that may or my not be any good (from my other engine). What do you fellas think? Should I attempt to swap cranks, or put this engine in the tractor temporarily until I can build up another one? I have the siezed-up engine plus another one that I'm buying from Sam. At least I can put it together enough so that Mother isn't gonna scream at me about "dragging home another piece of crap that doesn't even run!" :P Don