Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Rototiller and cone clutch

Ok, so I've had a bit of experience with the old B models, but I am not familiar with anything under 25 years old. The rototller that I picked up fits the 700/900 series tractors with a cone? clutch. Is the cone clutch electric? If so, can I install one on my 310 deluxe? The 310 has a long shaft on the left side of the bevel gear box, without any pulleys attached. I could fabricate the belt guards etc. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thank you for your help. Colin

BenB
The cone clutch is mechanical. You can connect this with a belt and belt tightener (either spring loaded or mechanical) with a pulley mounted on the left hand shaft (about 4.5 to 5" dia.) and use this rototiller as many have with the 'B' series tractors. The other problem is if you have the original sleeve hitch on your 310, The receiver is the wrong size (dia.) and depth for the 700/900 rototiller. Mike.

BenB
Mike, I have a junk '64 landlord that has the correct diameter sleeve hitch. Will this fit my 310, giving the correct depth for the rototiler. In addition, with a pulley mounted on the shaft and a spring loaded tightener, the rototiller will run constantly, correct? Thanks Colin

D-17_Dave
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think the later model bevel gearbox lefthand shaft has an aditional lenth of shaft that is threaded to accomodate the cone clutch. Therefor to install the clutch you'll have to also update the gearbox. Or rig a hand type clutch like the original.

D-17_Dave
So this is becoming a project. The left shaft on my 310 bevel box is longer than the B models. The shaft is also threaded on the end. Therefore, I think that the cone clutch will attach to the 310 shaft, but I do not know if the tractor will accomodate this clutch lever etc, without surgery. Does anyone know how the original hand clutch worked on the 310 with the rototiller - or have a drawing of how it should look? Thanks, Colin

Sandy_Lake_Imp
We have a tiller with the 300/400 series clutch for sale. Not sure of price - I am at home now. E mail Bob or ph 724-376-2489 8-5 eastern

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Colin, yes to the sleeve hitch and yes to the rototiller running constantly if you do not hook up a manual belt tightener. I know of several B-series/3100/3200 owners using the newer enclosed rototillers and yes they run constantly. Note: one guy worked it out so the tiller engages has he lowers it. Mike.