Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
HPuck

Starter Problem

Good_Ole_JR
I don't know about your set-up but my old 3212's use a solenoid for the starter/generator. Could it be possible that for some reason or another, your solenoid is sticking once current goes thru it and won't release until it's power source is removed by way of unhooking the battery? Does your wire from the switch to the solenoid have current to it once you release the key? The answer to this question should be no. My best guess would be a sticking solenoid.

Al
Hi, We have had to replace some solenoids on these tractors. They seem to stick in as you sescribe. To be sure take a test liight when you shut the tractor off and be sure there is no voltage on the small terminals when it is stuck. Most likely it is a bad solenoid. Good Luck, Al

HPuck
Hi Guys, I have an Agco Allis 1615H and am having the following problem. The starter continues to run after I release the key (whether the engine starts or not). The engine cranks with it, then the starter disengages from the engine and continues to spin. It runs just long enough for me to go to the basement, get a wrench to disconnect the cable and return (about two minutes). I don't know if it stopping because there's a thermal cut-out on the starter motor or if it just doesn't want me taking a wrench to it! Any ideas on the problem and the fix? Thanks in advance. GT