Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Sewing Machines

JCS

This a little off subject, but... I just bought my wife a sewing machine...a Simplicity of course (she finally benefits from my tractor hobby 8^). In stark contrast to the tractor line, the sewing machines are quite affordable, especially when bought online. I bought the Celebrity model (second best model) for $149 delivered, which is about what I would have paid for a department store Singer. I want to believe that it's a high quality device, but when compared to the higher end lines (Viking, etc. and even White) the Simplicity seems extremely inexpensive. (it's so odd seeing the same names in the tractor and sewing industry) Now I'm not looking for an excuse to spend more on a more expensive machine. I'm hoping to hear, "that's a good price for a great machine! She'll love it!" Anyone have any experience with Simple sewing? -Greg

For some odd reason, this post reminds me of being in my Grandparents house when I was a little kid. They had an International Harvester freezer and an Allis-Chalmers refridgerator (No joke, those were the only two units like them that I'd ever seen!). Don

Actually the Simplicity we know of today is the same one that made those hit and miss engines,they also made 3 farm tractors. What happend was they had cost to much for most farmers so they didn't go over well. Then when the venture was going to go out of business,one of the partners stayed and the other one had left and one new man and the old partner built the first Simplicity walk behind's then the wheel tractors and all the way up to the ones we know today,though neither of the original men are still alive, they created the great Garden Tractor company we know of today. I would like to take my hat off to those men and salute them for how the company has ended up with the way it is now, they had a vision to have the best garden tractors, and the great name SIMPLICITY survived. Congratulations to those men.-BradW

I've only seen Simplicity sewing machines around for the last couple years. They use to just do patterns. Probably rebadging some other brand to sell under the Simplicity name.

I don't think it is Simplicity Manufacturing Company in Port Washington, WI that is selling the sewing machines -- it is the company that is selling the Simplicity patterns.... Note also that in the early 1900's there were gasoline engines (hit'n miss singles are all I've seen) that carried the Simplicity name that -- as far as I know -- were not affiliated with Niederkorn and the company we're used to dealing with....

The sewing machines are rebadged imports for Simplicity Pattern Company, Niles Michigan. They are not affiliated with Simplicity Manufacturing, Port Washington Wisconsin.[A href='http://www.simplicity.com/']http://www.simplicity.com/[/a]