Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

Rejoice! Alleluia! Leaky carb fixed!!!

Recommended Posts

Guest
Hi Tom and Peter, Thanks for updating us on your success I find it most interesting to see just how these projects turn out and what was actually the problem and what also the fix was even though I hadn't but my 2 cents worth in. I just love to see a father and son team able to do as you two have done and thats working together as a team. Congrats on a job well done and also to all the members that help us all in our times of need. Cheer to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy_Lake_Imp
You are welcome Tom. Most of the advice I offer comes from having pulled my hair out over similar problems at some time or other & I am glad to pass it along when it may save someone else grief! Bill Klein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomF
We finally did it. Our Big Ten carburetor kept leaking after we cleaned and rebuilt it (ref. 10/2000 posting). Bill Klein, you were right: leaking around the nozzle! I bought the tap for the nozzle threads from our local dealer, as the threads were pretty gummed up. Tapped it out once, and it still leaked. My son suggested testing the fit of the nozzle into the carb casting by simply filling the bowl with water (apprehensive at first - not WATER!) as we kept fumigating the house with gas fumes after ever unsuccessful outdoor test. That, and we didn't have to fully assemble the carb for EVERY test. I tapped the main jet (or nozzle) hole internally again. I looked into this hole, and there appeared to be a buildup of what I would guess is years of varnish the flat-end tap was pushing ahead of itself. This buildup was keeping the nozzle from screwing in completely, and therefore from properly seating (old news I'm sure to you old-timers!). I kept on tapping until I noticed the tap removing a few fresh metal chips from the carb casting. Put the nozzle back in, ran some water into the bowl, and "Voila!" no leak. Yes, we did let the unit thoroughly dry before reassembly. She runs like a top now! Thanks to Bill, Al, Herb, et al for all of your great suggestions! They helped, and we're now no longer carb "novices". Bring on the snow - we're ready to blow! Giving thanks for this small Christmas gift, Tom and son Peter Feldpausch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×