Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Don't let this happen to you !!

arnoldir

Hello all, While you are adding chains, blowers, plows and such, make a point of checking the brushes in your electric starter. I did not, but thankfully my tractor forced the issue while it is still above zero and there is no snow in sight. There was no warning, one minute it started, the next minute it did not, would not, could not. And no amount of banging, kicking, cussing, etc. would change it's mind. I may have gotten off cheap, with an end cap and brush assembly, ($24 from Jacks Small Engines) but I had to machine the commutator .025" below the lower limit to get it smooth, I hope it will work. If you have no other way to start the machine, this little problem could really cost some serious profits. Happy holidays to all.

So far I have been lucky and have only had to replace the brushes in my starters. Luckily my expense has been only around $5.00 per set of brushes and the time required to install them. Also, luckily my starters were getting slow during the warm months. Now they are good for another thirty years or so...LOL