Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

Carb Freezing? 3112 w/ 12HP Briggs

joelk
This is the first time I have blown snow in cold weather (10 deg) and after about an hour... my engine started to over rev every time the load would lighten on the blower. Even if I reduced the throttle setting, it would take about 5 sec to slow down. I removed any visible ice on the cables and springs but the problems remained. Any ideas/solutions for this problem?

JP
Is there any ice around the governor linkage? If you overreved it you may have damaged the governor (been there done that, not hard to do). Simplicity used to make a cover that would route the air from the flywheel/cylinder to around the carb/gov for cold weather operation. I saw it a while ago, don't remember where. One of the dealers here may remember or call Simplicty. They have one for a Kohler. (?) Make sure the gov arm is snug on the shaft & hasn't moved (or you can't move it). Then, ever so gently look to see if the gov arm moves when you give it a 'quick' rev at the carb throttle body. Good luck! JP

JeffNemes
I would redo the gov adjustment. With engine shut off move throttle to fast and watch which way the gov arm wants to rotate. Leave speed lever in highest speed position, loosen gov rod locking nut and turn gov shaft fully in that same direction, which should be counterclockwise.

BradW
I have blown a lot of snow up here in VERY cold northern Wisconsin. On my HB212 I have a sheet metal cover that wraps around the muffler and extends over to the air cleaner this keeps the carb. air warm. I also have put a heavy canvas cover that covers the whole left side of the engine (extention of the the soft cab) that keeps the governor linkages from icing up (make sure that this cover is away from the muffler or exhaust pipe -- you don't want it to catch on fire!). Until I did this may governor froze up all the time. MS