Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

Snowthrower performance

Les
I run a 42" single stage on a 912 Allis. I have to slow down and rev it up a little when the snow drifts are higher than the hood of the tractor, otherwise I run about half throttle. I run chains but no weights. I would suggest going to your owners' manual to make sure you have everything set up right. As jp said, a little cooking spray or something will help, but something is not set up right, I have had my blower three seasons now, and my blower has NEVER clogged! Even in the wet stuff! Maybe try moving the chute closer to vertical. Also check belt tension and think about some belt dressing. One of my "old farmer" tricks is to use a bar of soap as belt dressing. I know it sounds strange but it works to take the glaze off of a belt. Also, if your blower has grease zerks(mine has three), a shot of grease may help. I can tell you with the upmost confidence that if properly set up, a Simplicity single stage blower really kicks butt!

Les
Just a quick one here as I agree with jp and Les on everything they stated "but" is it possible your belt is slipping like Les stated because I have run into this before also. Cheers, >>->happyjack<-<<

joelk
I've got a single stage 36" snowthrower on the front of my regent. In addition to a traction problem (I've got chains & wheel weights) I don't seem to be able to move 6 inches without the chute clogging up. We got about 14" of snow last night and I'm stuck in my driveway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the performance of snow throwers?

JP
Are ya reving it up? I have one of those tach/hour meters & I'm doin' about 3000 or so when blowing, no clogging. The only time I experience clogging is 'spring' snow. That thick heavy 'mash potato' stuff. Then I move at a rate not slow enough to clog (that'll be a conversation starter) and sillycone/WD40 helps a little. JP

JeffNemes
If you have an older Regent you can also get a weight box that attaches to the rear hitch. Inside it you can put cinder blocks, rocks, ect. to improve traction. You do have a bit of weight on the front end now for that series tractor and you need to compensate. Also you can jack up the front tires to 25 psi or so but more weight is what will really help - just put on enough to do the job - you don't want to overload the trans. Also if you have a newer Regent with an electric PTO clutch you may need to adjust the air gap to .010 if it is the adjustable kind. As mentioned engine RPM can also be a factor - old ones wear down and new ones are set lower. Also older "non electric PTO" Regents use the other hole for the snowthrower PTO rod marked "ST" instread of "MOW" and linkage gap should be around 1"?