Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Never Blowed Snow before

JeffNemes
From: StanSomers Email: n1nni@tds.net Status: member Let the skids support the blower and leave the hydro in the float position. Set the skids to elevate the blower as high as possible. Each time you hear an explosion you'll know that was another rock that you forgot to manually remove before the season started. After the last one explodes you can adjust the blower closer to the ground for a better snow removal job. Keep a large box-frame handy for when you pickup a big one that turns the bottom of the blower into a "V" shape. After spending a day removing the large rock slip the box frame over the blower mouth and insert a jack. Jack between the frame and blower bottom to get things back into shape. This shouldn't happen more than a couple times a year and you could've sworn (I know I did a lot.) that all the rocks had been cleared out. I gave up long ago and went back to the plow until the road and my drive gets paved sometime the in latter half of the 21st century. -Stan

BradW
From-Jack Lindstrom e-mail happyjackl@yahoo.com #1 Your idea of welding the spring ply on the shoes is a good idea to give them a wider foot-print but don't for to raze them up also. #2 From my experience even if the lift lever is left in the float position from time to time you will need the wider skids to hold the blower up out of the gravel. #3 The wheel weights and chains are to help with traction and to offset the weight of the blower hanging out front of the tractor. Wheel weights will help do this but your rear tires need the chains for traction the tractor needs while moving front place to place with the blower in the up position and sometimes with snow that has been compacted you will actually have to push the blower into the snow to force it into the auger. #4 Depending on how large the stone or gravel is I would be content on just clearing enough snow so that you are leaving 1-1/2"-2" of snow-its the same with a plow you want to plow the snow not the gravel. You can do alot of damage to your blower like stan stated by trying to clear a gravel driveway to which I just damaged mine yesterday when I hit a frozen Sunday paper that had gotten wet and then froze that I didn't see from the 12" of snow that it was hiding in. Point being is never "assume" that there is nothing in the area that your blower cannot or will not pickup and throw so always keep people and animals far away as like that Sunday paper I hit "frozen log is more like it" flew out the front a good 75 feet untill it hit a fence. It damage my impeller-idler brackets and pullies-and made a new belt look like a snake all torn up. One more thing you might try with the steering now that your having more weight on the front is to add more air to the front tires but read the maxium air pressure allowed. Plus what happends with the bearing on the front wheels is that snow get around the area of the rubber seal and if the seal is in bad shape or the bearings aren't kept tight enough snow turns to water to which gets in the bearings. So always use a grease meant to repell water and keep an eye on the bearing before mowing season starts. Move the front wheels side to side and if there is play in the bearing then water is seeping into them. I hope this helps along with what stan stated and hopefully more members will add to this. Best wishes to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

JCS
Everyone talks about how much fun it is to blow snow and Kent even has action pictures! I got a used Deutz-Allis snowblower last year from Sandy Lake Implement and they got me all the hitches and belts and even an owners manuel. Now my question is I hava a gravel driveway and I want to know 1. Does the snowblower ride on the skid shoes or do I use the lift to hold it above the gravel or should I weld spring ply on skids to gt a biger skid area? 2. Why does everyone need wheel weights & chains? I though the idea was to blow the snow not push it???? I am putting new bearing in the one front wheel because the one side was all rusted and pitted the other side I washed and reapcked with new grease. Also I had the steering box out this summer and cleaned all the old grease off and put it back together and now it is TIGHT again!!! I can hardly turn it from straight ahead to the left!!! and this is with the arm that goes to the front unhooked!!

JeffNemes
StanSomers Email: n1nni@tds.net Status: Member Just finished plowing the 6" fall of last night, first snow of the year that accumulated. Did the drive and 4 tenths mile of road. Had kept a close eye on the road this last week because it's not good to plow large rocks around and beat up the blade. Early into the plowing near the end of my driveway I hit a rock the size of a ten-pin bowling ball. Where to !@#$%^ do these %^&* rocks come from!?!?! The 4040 easly broke the rock free from the frozen ground and there was no damage but it messed up the paint job real good. The 4' 4040 blower remains behind the shed. I second Happyjacks' advice. -Stan