Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Shredder Blades & Mulching kits

Did Simplicity ever make (do they make today) any mulching kit for the Sovereign/711X/AC91X series with either the 42" or 48" deck (left hand discharge)? If you use the "gator" or other shredder blades do you need a mulching kit to get the blades to chop leaves into smaller pieces and reduce the volume to be bagged?

JeffNemes
Actually Simplicity did have mulcher kits available in the 60's. They used the standard blades with baffle kits. Then catcher systems were mostly used until recently when the landfills became "filled". If you want to grind up leaves try making your own discharge block off plate so that the leaves stay under the mower and aren't blown out to the side. And then if you want more try the Gators. With my old Broadmoor "lefty" and standard blades I've cut from the outside perimeter toward the inside, gathering the leaves toward the center. Once grouped together then I start grinding them toward the outside. It takes a while and I don't have a "lot" of leaves but it works for me. Gators used with catchers will also increase bagging capacity by returning some grindings back on the lawn, yet giving satisfactory results. All tractor/lawn situations are different so you have to try and see for yourself.