Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

creeping Sovereign

Kent

I have a 97 Sovereign that is all ways creeping I have adjusted the nut on the roller arm but cant get it to stop. It says to center on the mark on the arm but what do i center it on the top of the arm ? or the middle of the nut ? All so it some times has a hard time going into reverse like it is getting stuck If anyone can help I would appreciate it Happy Holidays

Unless the system has changed you adjust the left hand nut on the cross shaft. Loosen outer and move inner forward/backward to find neutral center and lock it there. Put the linkage on the right back where it was first. As far as being hard to move - try lubing all pivot points and linkage invovled.

Hi, Do all of the above, but one thing to check is the control lever and the arm inside the frame. If you can move the control lever a little maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch or more without the linkage going back to the tranny moving, the flats on the shaft of the control arm have the corners getting rounded off. The rectangular hole in the inner arm doesn't index very deep on the arm shaft and you get slack there. If you have any slack there you can never set the neutral. Replace the control lever and the arm inside the frame. Often I take a large counterbore and cut down the outside end of the bearing supprot tube welded in the frame about 1/16 to 3/32 of an inch. This allows the arm to side over the flats on the control lever shaft about that much deeper. The new parts will last a lot longer with out this slack happining again. If you would cut a little too much, a shim on the outside on the lever shaft will compensate for it. The arm is held by the belleville washers and tightening the nut determines the drag on the shift lever, all this does is let the two pieces mesh together deeper than when new. Sometimes if the slack is VERY minimal shortening the tube will fix it. We then lube up all of the linkage and pivot points, remove the plastic cam roller and clean or replace it and the shoulder bolt it pivots on. If the cam roller is "draggy" you can never get neutral to come in from both directions. Next we adjust het linkage rod to the cam assembly so the when the shift lever is in neutral the roller is located in the center of the flat spot in the cam. Next we set the neutral with the tractor on a floor jack with a large pad so it won,t slip off and set it with the engine wide open and the wheels off the ground by ajusting the double lock nut on the cam. The one that moves the cam sideways in the frame. "BE CAREFUL" !!!!!!!!!! You must have a safe reliable support when doing this. TO BE SAFE YOU SHOULD HAVE JACK STANDS UNDER THE RUNNING BOARDS IN ADDITION TO A JACK UNDER THE DRAWBAR Sometimes when we have a "BAD" one we add a washer on each end of the "cushion" spring in the linkage rod. This problem is probably the most common problem we see with these tractors. I would like to find a stiffer spring for the cushion spring. It seems to me like something has changed in the last 6 years or so as the newer tractors seem to be worse. I have blamed it on the material in the cam roller, I think it is softer and don't roll as freely, but I don't know. I have thought about turning a roller out of harder plastic or teflon and doing some research on this, I just don't have time ot mess with it. My 2 cents worth, its free so value accordingly. Good luck, Al

Jeff is right on about the adjustment method but first make sure the nut on the inner end of the hydro control hand lever is TIGHT. The arm which connects to the rod leading back to the hydro is indexed to a flat spot on the end of this lever/shaft. If it is loose the play will result in an elusive nuetral & excess wear of the arm & lever/shaft. While checking this spray the belleville washer stack on the lever shaft (between the short arm & the tractor frame) well with lube.

Proper linkage adjustment is critical and must be performed in proper sequence. Even after proper adjustment, you may not be able to achieve satisfactory results. Others, including myself, have experienced this annoying and dangerous anomaly. On my machine, I found a spring was missing. I also modified my linkage to disengage the pump when the parking brake is applied. Do a search for "neutral" and read those messages.

• 2 weeks later...