Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine problem... Please Help!!

I have a 12 horse Kohler that will run for a while and then will just shut off. You let it set for a while and it will just start right back up. What is causing this to happen?? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Could be a fuel problem. Ice/water in lines, dirt? I'd sort that out first, clean float bowl, lines, tank. Fresh gas see what happens. 3cents JP

I would suggest checking the spark right after it dies to determine whether or not it is an ignition problem you are dealing with. Plug wire should arc about 1/4" away from ground.

It is not a common problem, but if you have a coil, it can break down when it becames hot and not supply the "juice" needed to fire the plug. Check the points for gap. DaleC dale.conrad@fuse.net

I had the same problem with my 12 hp Kohler, cleaned the carb seveal times, drowned it in carb cleaner, cleaned out the gas tank, put on a new condenser, coil, fuel line, filter, and points. Now it runs but not that well. My best advice is to sell it and get a Briggs.

Same thing happened to me on my 16hp B&S. It only happened when I was a low on fuel. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter that I installed on it over a year ago.

This problem is commonly caused by a sticking ex valve. If it seems to spin over easily after it dies or makes a backfire as it dies then a reaming of the guide to remove carbon build up may be in order. Bill

I have seen a simple spark plug cause this problem, yet when you check it to ground it may appear to be ok. In my case I replaced the plug and all was ok. From their, I would go to the coil.