Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hard starting B110

McGill

Champion J19LM at .030. Choke must fully close all the way to function properly so I would start there and fix or replace the cable.

As a follow-up to message # 2, if the choke cable is plastic coated, then borrow or buy a "cable lube" fitting from any motor-cycle, snow-mobile, or personal watercraft dealer. It tightens securely around the cable at either accessable end and forces lubricant (under high pressure) into the cable. Works great and beats replacing the combination throttle + choke double cable assembly used on the B-110's.

Since it got cold, I put my snowblower on the B110. It is now very hard to start.What is the plug number and what should it be gapped? Is there something else I need to do? It started great all last winter. Also, the choke cable seems to be froze. I have to push the choke on at the carb. Is there an easy way to get the cable off so I can thaw it out and clean it.

Bill, My old B-1 (B&S Model 19) eats plugs for breakfast from running so hot when mowing in the summer. Do Autolites stand up to heat better than the other brands??? Roy

I agree, I have only had problems with champion, I like the plugs, but for smal engines, they run too hot or foul out. I like NKG,Autolite,and Delco. Auto lite were the factory plugs so they should work the best.-BradW

I won't let a machine leave our shop with a Champion even if I have to give the owner the replacement. Our reputation isn't worth it! Use an autolite 303. Also keep in mind that these older B/S engines like to kick off at idle. If your throttle control doesn't return the carb shaft to idle then adjust things so it does or hold it there manually as you crank it over. No offense to Champion fans meant, just passing on what I have learned over 25 years of fixin' these old girls. Bill