Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

416H Drive Failure

BobT

Hi, Take a hard look at the right hand wheel.If the whole differential assembly is turning, the the problem may be the right hand hub. [If the differential assy is not turning , the axle shaft is likely broken at the differential assy] The hub has a gear on it that is driven by the planetary gears in the differential. The gear drives the hub through 6 roll pins with 6 smaller ones inside them. These can be sheared off and the gear will be on the bushing, but will not drive the hub. To check this put the hub flange in a vise, then take a large Channel lock or pipe wrench and try to turn the gear. If you can turn it it is broken, it may have some drag. I believe on the later differentials the gear is available separately. I have removed the roll pins before in my old 3212 and Landlord. It is a very time consuming operation and I can not afford to do it in our shop as the labor gets too high. If you want to do it and this is what is wrong, you need to determine where the ends of the roll pins are and drill from the outside of the hub about 3/16 or 1/4 hole until you are at the end of the pin then you can use a pin punch and drive the broken pieces out. Then get 12 new pins and reinstall and go. You can put some silicone in the holes to keep the dirt out. Next time you don't have to drill. My 2 cents worth and its free. Value accordingly. Good luck, Al

Thanks for the help. (Thanks especially for the email about the snap ring Jeff.) I just got the remainder of the differential off. In doing so I discovered the the tubular shaft is sheared off just inside the transmission case. (The right hand potion of the tubular shaft pulled out of the transmission - the sheared end is clearly visible now). Any tips on drive shaft replacement and transmission dissassembly/reassembly?

My 416H drive quit while I was blowing snow. The left axle still turns when I move the hydro lever out of neutral, so I'm pretty sure it's not a hydro problem. The rear wheels spin free (I'm sure the rear end is engaged :-) ) Could this be the differential or is it more likely that I've broken an axle or key? I've started to dissassemble the rear drive and have the differential off (it seems OK except for a bad seal). Any suggestions as to what to check next? Should the springs in the differential be replaced when the time comes to reassemble things?

Sounds like you need to open up the trans cover. Spring replacement is optional - we don't replace them unless they show signs of wear but they don't cost that much and like anything else - while you are there already anyway....... But this is an AC tractor so lets wait and see what Bill says - just don't tell him you use Champion sparks plugs! Just kidding Bill :)

You can leave the transmission in the tractor. Support the tractor with jackstands under the foot boards. Remove the right-hand tranmission case cover. Replace all necessary parts such as axle tube, axle shaft, seals and keys. Use OEM keys as they are the special high profile type. The trick for sliding the transmission cover over the axle tube without tearing the axle seal on the retaining ring groove is to place a plactic bag over the axle tube. Have fun!

You can leave the transmission in the tractor. Support the tractor with jackstands under the foot boards. Remove the right-hand tranmission case cover. Replace all necessary parts such as axle tube, axle shaft, seals and keys. Use OEM keys as they are the special high profile type. The trick for sliding the transmission cover over the axle tube without tearing the axle seal on the retaining ring groove is to place a plastic bag over the axle tube. Have fun!