Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ka9bxg

wonderboy 700 engine

ka9bxg
Why won't this engine run right? New points condensor backer plate for points.valves reset coil new rod and piston rebuld carb switched carb and still runs like crap. I would drop kick this thing but I know it would realy hurt my foot.Anybody have any ideas? Starts fine at idle but rev it up and I it backfires misses and shoots fire out the muffler. I am very upset with this 1. Just finished another 1 last week and it ran perfect.Did I say that I am getting mad at it.I am ready to try anything.Bob

Good_Ole_JR
Try this....start your engine up and allow it to warm up at idle for a few minutes. Adjust the points clockwise until the engine starts to miss....then adjust the points counter-clockwise while counting the turns until it misses. Then adjust clockwise half the amount of turns. That is how I adjust the points on my 3212's and seems to work like a charm. If the engine still backfires and carries on, I would try replacing the condenser again. Usually that does the trick on mine. Even though the condenser you said was replaced, sometimes you can still get a bad one. I asssume you are talking about a Briggs engine.