Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

B-210 restoration

After much long thought, I have decided to do a near frame-up restoration of my newly aquired B-210. I have been wanting to get into tractor restoration for a while now and this seems like a good first project. Anyway while trearing down the tractor into little parts today several questions have come to mind. I scraped probably 5 lbs of dirt and grease off the frame and then I washed it down with Varsol. The paint is remarkably good so I don't want to sandblast. I used a cup brush and cleaned everything painted yellow up nicely. I got some paint the correct color, and I need to know what color to paint the wheel rims. Mine were done in silver, but all the pics that I see are white. What's the correct color? Also what color was the tranny painted as mine was also painted silver and I noticed A-C orange under that? And while I am asking, what is the correct color of the front grille? I am sure I will ask a dozen other questions in the future, but I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance all! Bud

JeffNemes
I am almost certain the following information is correct: All Allis Chalmers B series lawn and garden tractors were painted the same colors (yellow & cream) as the big AC industrial tractors (not the farm tractors which were Persian Orange). I had very good luck geeting my local PPG auto/truck paint dealer to exactly match the 1966 Allis Chalmers yellow for the sheet metal and cream for the wheels. The bevel gear box, transmission and cast-iron rear end were painted flat black. The front grill on my B model was made of "expanded aluminum". Try glass beading the grill (in a place not seen) to see if shiny aluminum is underneath. Good Luck!