Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

It's ALIVE! It runs!

After completely tearing down and rebuilding my B&S 16hp in a one day marathon, the sucker actually started on the first pull! Man what a feeling! I need to tweek the carburator some, but all is well basicly. My newly rebuilt starter generator is a piece of crap. It runs fine but has zero torque to turn the engine over. All the cables and battery are new so no problem there. I just have the + lead connected to one terminal on the generator. I have not hooked the regulator to the "F" terminal yet. Is it possible that it was rebuilt as a 6volt unit? Is that feasible? I know nearly nothing of generators. Any help on that would be appreciated. Thanks all! Bud

Bud, If the starter generator was rebuilt as a 6volt unit it would turn your engine over like you wouldn't beleive. Double check all of your connections and make sure that none of the cable ends are coated with a clear sealer to prevent corossion. If that doesn't help make sure that you have a true "starter generater". A few rebuilders have been known to hang on to the "starter generater" units and give the customer a standard generator in its place. A standard generator unit will "do the job" on a weak engine but will not work well with a freshly rebuilt engine. Hope this helps. Scooby

PGL
With your heading I could see Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein and couldn't resist looking. Great news though - hope your starter doesn't need a bolt of lightning to kick start.

JeffNemes
That's great Bud! What a nice feeling to have something go well! Hope you can keep it going that way! One other thing with your starter/generator - make sure to grind off any painted surface that is used for ground so you get a good conection - particularly the mounting bosses.