Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new B-10 choke Question

shaggyhill

I just brought my first B-10 home today. Problem is it still is on my trailer. The guy I bought it from started it right up and I drove it all around. when I got home, I started it briefly, then it stalled, now I can't get it to start at all. My question is about the position of the levers when starting. The black lever on the botto is the choke -- is it to the right when starting? The top red lever is to the left while starting? Thanks PAul

There is a key? Yes the key was on. Today I did get it started for about 60 seconds then it stalled --started again for about 60 sewconds and then stalled, then it would not start -- waited ten minutes and did the same thing all over again. What gets me is that I started it right up at the previous owners house and drove it around with no problems. Help Paul

It's probably just a matter of you getting to know what the engine likes. Set both throttle and choke to the wide open position. Crank the engine about 10 times to clear it out. Then set the throttle at 1/2 open and close the choke all the way. Crank 3-4 times, if it doesn't start open the choke a little and try again. Once it does start, keep opening or closing the choke slowly until the engine keeps running. The former owner knew just how much choke the engine liked until it heated up.

My friend gave me a new theory -- taking the tractor home on the trailer mix up some water in the gas tank and now it stalls every time the carb fills up. I'll take the line off the carb tomorrow and check it out. I have played with choke and throttle positions. When it starts to stall it goes straight from running strong to stalling. I have tried to mess with the throttle and choke during the stall and there is no altering the stall. Paul

HI, If you have water in the carb, you can drain it out by removing the Hi speed jet assy. First use a long nose Vise-Grip and put a piece of rubber hose on the jaws. Use this to pinch off the fuel line. Take a wrench and unscrew the whole assembly, don't take the adjustment needle out of the housing and packing nut. When the assembly is out any water and gas in the float bowl will run out. Do not do this indoors or near any sparks or flame. Catch the gas and dispose of it properly. If you don,t change the adjustment screw it should be very close to where it was when you started and require only a minor adjustment when you reinstall it. Caution: If you change the adjustment screw after you remove the assy. Unscrew it so it is out as far or farther than it was when you started. If you turn it in when the assy is out the needle may contact the jet in the nozzle and damage both when you reinstall the assy and tighten with a wrench. The same thing can happen if you lose the fiber [gasket] washer that seals the assy and the carb bowl. Happy Holidays and Good Luck, Al