Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

More Generator woes..

Al
Hi, I suspect that you have a regulator from an 8 hp engine, they used a shorter starter generator which was a lower torque unit. If it is square instead of oblong I would suspect this to be the case. You can probably get by using it, but the charging current limit will be lower. It will not affect the motor torque because when starting they both put a ground on the F term of the starter. The terminal under the reg goes to the A terminal of the starter gen unit. The F term of the starter goes to the F or Fld. terminal of the reg. The A terminal of the starter unit should also have acable that goes to the solenoid. If you want to check the torque of the starter unit, just ground the F terminal of the starter and put 12 volts to the A terminal. If it still has low torque, the starter is bad. If by any chance you have a low torque starter unit off an 8 hp unit the overall length will be such that the back end frame will be inside the bracket on the engine. The right starter for this will fit inside the front and back end frames. In addition the 8 hp vertical shaft engines used a slightly larger diameter pulley which will hurt the torque also. We rebuild quite a few of these units and a couple of things are inportant. It is common for the generate field to brun out so they don't charge, and the brushes are made with more copper in the carbon than are used in regular generators for old cars and tractors. The brushes are the same size just made of different material to handle more current in the start mode. I wrote did a post last Summer about how these units work and how the regulators control the charging. Maybe someone knows when I did it and can tell you where to find it. Good luck, Hollar if you need more and I'll try to help you. Al

I talked to the guy who rebuilt my starter generator about the no torque problem. He said that I need to have both terminals hooked up so that both the field and armature are energized in order for the unit to develop full power. One terminal is for the 12v power via the solinoid, and the other comes from the regulator. I looked at the wiring diagram for the B-210 from this site and I noticed that the regulator that I have is marked differently. Mine has terminals F, Bat, amd L plus an unmarked terminal under the body of the unit. Could it be that the terminal marked L is the same as terminal G in the wiring diagram? If someone knows of a link to a standard wiring diagram other than the one on this site, I certianly need to see it. Any help would be appreciated! Bud

I tried the test as you suggested by grounding out the F terminal and yes it does have enough torque to turn the engine, just barely. It still groans at the compression stroke but it may spin it over enough to get it started as it starts real easy with a pull rope. I hope that after I get the new wiring harness built with all new components, I'll have a little more power as I am just jury rigging everything on the test bench for now. Thanks so much for your help! Bud