Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Breaking Belts

McGill

Now that I have my B110 running, I'm blowing snow and breaking belts. I have a 36 inch blower that runs off one belt. After about 45 minutes the belt breaks. I ran all last winter on one belt. The first new belt I bought at the Simplicity Dealer 1/2 inch by 56 inches, it was tight going on and pulled the RPM's down until it broke. I then went to the hardware store and bought a 1/2 by 56 which was to loose, so I put on a 1/2 by 55 and it worked but broke after about a mile of blowing. ( I have a long driveway) Any ideas? Should I go to a thicker belt? Is there a reinforced belt available?

Are you adjusting the belt properly? I would stay with the Simplicity brand belt that is designed to run in a twisted way and not just a striaght line belt even though they cost more. Are you going to fast? I would once you get your blower up and running stop the tractor engine and check to see if the belt is warm or hot. If it is hot then you either are going to fast and the belt is slipping or you don't have the belt adjusted properly and it is slipping. I beleive Kent posted somewhere on his site the proper way of adjusting the belt on your blower. There is know way that your belt should be breaking if #1 you are using the write belt and #2 the belt is adjusted properly as I can get at least a full season out of abusing my blower belt doing the drives that I do. Check Kents site out and see if he did indeed post the proper way to adjust the belt and hopefully someone else has somemore suggestions for you also. If you can't find where to adjust the belt on Kents site let me know and I will gladly scan you the information so just let me know. Best of luck to you, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S I just noticed your past message about hitting a rock and breaking your belt. Just how big was this rock?? Sometimes when you hit something it will bend the idler pulley brackets and they may need to be bent back so that the belt runs true. Also your mention of rpm dropping suggest to me that this might have happened or the belt may not be installed properly at the large pulley on the blower. Is the guard that goes around the large pulley tipped all the way up so that the tip of it is touching the bottom of the blower housing?? If not this can put a bind on the belt also. Just an after thought. Your belt should be at least 54-1/4" minimum length and also make sure that your belt guides at the crankcase pulley are only about 1/8" clearence from the belt. I hope that I have not confused you.

Mcgill, I sent you a couple of pages that show and tell how to adjust your belt and other adjustments. I hope others can add more input also. Best to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

Yes, check your idler pulley alignment. Been there, done that, went through 3 belts before I got smart. Blower worked for 20 years on two belts and then last winter went through 3 in 1 hour. Now I used it at least 15 hours worth after realigning the idler pulleys (the pivot mount somehow got bent) and the belt looks new. Good Luck MS

I'm not sure about snowthrowers, but any other piece of equipment I own, whenever I hit something, I always freewheel the equipment to see if anything is knocked out of alignment or if a bearing has seized up or gone bad. Some times pullies can be thrown out of adjustment or parts can bend that cause serious wear of belts. I hit a railroad tie in my yardthat was buried around the driveway with my mower deck and it hit hard enough to stall the tractor and bring me to a sudden halt. I didn't think nothing of it when i put the machine away but, when I got it out the next time to mow, i noticed that the tractor would stall whenever I engaged the mower. I found out that I had bent The spindle housing which caused the blade to hit the under side of the deck. I also busted the side PTO belt on the tractor(3212H). It pays to check this stuff out. If I would have thought to freewheel the blades by spinning them by hand, I would have found out about the bent parts and would not have busted my PTO belt. Before You put another belt on the blower, if at all possible, turn it over by hand and inspect all moving parts to see if they are bent or rubbing or if the bearings are ok. Even check the pullies to see if they are in alignment.

What does the belt look like after it breaks? Describe all the details you can. Is it torn, shredded, burnt, worn on edges, cracked all over or like new except that it snapped?